Dance Marathon fundraises for Riley Hospital

Kid President is no longer the only one asking you to dance in order to make the world a better place.The eighth annual Saint Mary's Dance Marathon will be held Saturday at the Angela Athletic Facility. 

The 12-hour marathon raises funds for Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis, which cares for sick children from around the state, according to a College press release. 

Senior Kathryn Kellogg, vice president of finance for Dance Marathon, said the event quickly became the largest student-run philanthropic effort in the Notre Dame-Saint Mary's community."Dance Marathon has successfully raised [more than] $300,000 in the past seven years for the children at Riley Hospital," Kellogg said. "We have also been honored and named as the best new dance marathon in the country by Children's Miracle Network in 2007."Kellogg said she is hopeful this year's fundraising efforts will be even more successful than those of past years."We are really excited to set and hopefully exceed our highest goal yet, to raise $88,000 for Riley Hospital for Children," she said

Riley Hospital treats 160 inpatients and 2,120 outpatients from St. Joseph's County annually and never turns a child away, Kellogg said.   

Junior Hannah Karches, Dance Marathon high school outreach chair, said she is eagerly awaiting the event and the chance to meet some of the families Riley serves. 

"These families are incredible and never cease to amaze and inspire me," Karches said. "I love being a part of Dance Marathon because so many lives have been saved by the Riley medical team and I love that we can make financial contributions to their life-saving efforts."

Kellogg said she intends to fully appreciate her final Dance Marathon and the results of her efforts."I also cannot wait to be with the Riley families and see the children's energy and enthusiasm," she said. "Their energy reminds us why we are here supporting this great cause and the miracle of life."