Earth's biggest party of the year

On Mar. 23, starting at 8:30pm, I will be throwing a party, like a crazy lights-out rager kind of party.  I've got a global invite list and am currently prospecting venues such as the Eiffel Tower. Here's the thing, I need you to host . . . all of you.

Earth Hour is the fastest growing holiday on the globe, and it will be celebrated in more than 150 countries this year. The symbolic act of shutting off all lights and electronics for one-hour shows support for the conservation movement and can actually be a lot of fun. To help you in your efforts to celebrate Earth Hour in a fun and electricity-free way, I have brainstormed some ideas that are sure to please.   

Normally I would recommend some fun out in the sun for an event like this. However, there usually isn't much sunshine available at 8:30pm. I have a solution. Glow-in-the-dark sports. Go play glow-in-the-dark volleyball, soccer or football. You can find glow-in-the-dark everything, so go get your game on and ball out with the lights out!

I remind those of you who are less athletically inclined and more artistically gifted that music and dance don't require any electricity. Why not have an acoustic jam session with some close friends, or take your show to LaFortune and get some new digits for your troubles! For the innovative, there's always the karaoke party, no stereo, no lights and just people singing and dancing. A cappella, baby! If you actually try this one, I will allow you one laptop for lyrics and one camera to document your ambition! Who knows, maybe your rendition of 'Eyes Wide Open' by Gotye may just inspire others to join the movement. And think about it, with the lights out it'll give you that edgy, mysterious aura you've been looking for.

Finally, for those afraid of the dark, shut off your own lights and take sanctuary in a well-lit public place. Reckers and LaFortune will both be lit. Why not bring some 90s board games and have an hour of nostalgia and conservation. How long has it been since you've played "Apples to Apples," "Hungry Hungry Hippos" or "Mouse Trap?" As always, I have an option for the ambitious. Have you ever seen Giant Jenga in person? Neither have I, but I want to. You are my only hope!

All of these ideas are fun, but keep in mind the true goal of Earth Hour is to remind us how important it is to think about the ways our actions affect the world around us. Earth Hour is what you make of it.

If everyone on campus decides to commit to Earth Hour like they do to Fake St. Patty's Day, it will be an epic display of support for our planet! The lights on the Golden Dome and Hesburgh Library will be shut off so show your support by hitting the lights in your dorm. Have a blast and get your green on!

Earth Friendly,

GM

Email your predicaments to The GreenMan at askthegreenman@gmail.com and let him answer you with a sustainable twist. The GreenMan will be here every other week to provide you with insights you never knew you were missing out on until now.