Men's Golf: Golfers look for redemption

Despite finishing last in a field of 15 teams at the E-Z Go Invitational last week, Irish coach Jim Kubinski said he hadn't lost confidence in his team. 

Notre Dame's play will revive as they continue to play on grass and compete in tournaments, Kubinski said. 

The Irish will get the chance to redeem themselves this weekend when they travel to Williamsburg, Va. to compete in the C & F Bank Intercollegiate Tournament, where they'll face a field including teams such as Boston College, Michigan and Florida State. 

"It's a good mix of teams, both northern and southern," Kubinski said. 

Facing fellow snow-bound schools like Michigan and Boston College will create a more level playing field for the Irish, who struggled against schools blessed with more temperate climates at the E-Z Go Invitational.

"The field last week was very strong, with a lot of ranked teams and Southern teams," Kubinski said.

Although not as beneficial as practicing outside, Kubinski said he is proud of his teams' work in the Rolfs Family All-Season Varsity Golf Facility this week, where the team is able to do workouts and practice hitting and putting. Nevertheless, he is aware of the challenges the team may face during the transition from indoor conditions to real grass courses. 

"The decision-making, where the flagstick is, what the wind is doing, all of those variables you have to factor in. ... All of those things you have to get used to," Kubinski said. "So, I think starting this week we're going to play a little better and get better each week." 

Kubinski looks towards his top performers, senior Paul McNamara and junior Niall Platt, who led the team, tying for 22nd in the E-Z Go Invitational. He said junior Andrew Lane and freshman Corey Sciupider are also players to watch going into this week's tournament. Sciupider is getting his first chance to start this weekend after competing as an individual in the tournament last weekend.

Kubinski said Notre Dame fans shouldn't lose confidence in the squad despite the rough start to the season.

"To everybody out there on campus, I say be patient with this young team, there is a lot of talent here," Kubinski said. "As we go through the spring, I think we will have a good chance to get back to NCAAs and go for our third-straight Big East championship."

The Irish will tee-off the three-day tournament today at the Kingsmill Resort-River Course in Williamsburg, Va.

Contact Meredith Kelly at mkelly29@nd.edu