ND Women’s Golf: Irish excel on the green

Greg Hadley | Tuesday, March 19, 2013

After a slow start to their spring season, the young Irish squad recorded top-five finishes in both of its two tournaments over spring break.

“We had a lot of time to practice over spring break,” Irish coach Susan Holt said. “We golfed nine of the 11 days.”

Competing in the Clover Cup in Mesa, Ariz., on March 9 and 10, the No. 26 Irish finished fifth as a team in a very competitive field. The following weekend, the team placed third in the Insperity Lady Jaguar Invitational in Augusta, Ga., upsetting No. 22 Texas.

“Both of the tournaments had very good fields,” Holt said. “We beat the teams we should’ve beaten for the most part. In Arizona, our goal was to be in the top four. We shouldn’t have lost to Tulsa. But in Georgia, we were aiming for top three and we got that, so I’ll take it.”

Holt said the team would benefit tremendously from the increased outdoor practice time.

“We can always improve…everyone has little weaknesses that need to be ironed out in practice,” Holt said. “I’m pleased with our progress and where we sit right now.”

For the Irish to improve upon their second place finish at last year’s conference championship, the team’s fourth and fifth golfers need to step up and take some of the pressure off of the top trio of sophomore Ashley Armstrong and freshmen Lindsey Weaver and Talia Campbell, Holt said.

“We do have five very solid golfers,” Holt said. “We just need them all to start playing well moving forward.”

Individually, Armstrong took the top spot at the Insperity Lady Jaguar Invitational, scoring a career-best one-under-par to win the tournament. Weaver placed sixth at the Invitational, following up a ninth place finish at the Clover Cup. After her performance at the Clover Cup, Weaver was named the Big East Golfer of the Week for the second time this year and first time this spring season.

“Obviously that’s great for Lindsey,” Holt said. “Anytime one of our players gets recognized, that’s very special. Hopefully, Ashley will follow up and get it this week as well. … She played very well in Georgia.”                                                                                                               

The Irish return to action Monday when they travel to Charleston, S.C., for the Briar’s Creek Invitational.

Contact Greg Hadley at ghadley@nd.edu