-

-

ND Women’s Golf: Team set for Arizona tourney

Kit Loughran | Thursday, March 7, 2013

Now three weeks since their last tournament, the Irish gear up for their second appearance this spring in Mesa, Ariz. at the Clover Cup.

After finishing seventh at the Seminole Mash-Up Invitational in Tallahassee, Fla. on Feb. 17, the No. 25 Irish had the past few weeks to focus on preparing for their next tournament of their season.

“Basically, we just came back from the first tournament and began working on how the girls played individually,” Irish head coach Susan Holt said.

Overall, Holt said that the team did not play its best at the Mash-Up, but she said she is proud of the progress the team has made.

“We were ready for that tournament, but we didn’t execute,” Holt said. “With that being said, we are ready to get back at it.”
Holt said that practice has been key over the past few weeks.

“We all have had things to work on,” Holt said. “We’ve practiced well every day and worked hard.”

At this point in the season, the team’s mindset and progress has come to develop, Holt said.

“The girls know individually that they are all good players, but they also know that collectively when they are playing well we can compete with the better teams in the country,” Holt said.

The Irish will go up against some of the top teams in the country this weekend, including No. 11 Texas Tech and No. 27 Northwestern. Holt believes this is a great opportunity for her team to prove itself competitively.

“It’s a matter of really showing up and playing this time,” Holt said. “When it’s time to play, we have to perform.”

With Notre Dame as the host of the Clover Cup, the Irish have even more of a reason to step up and perform. Holt said the course selection will be advantageous to the team’s performance.

“A lot of the girls are familiar with the course,” Holt said. “Going to a course that is familiar is very helpful.”

From the Mesa area herself, freshman Lindsay Weaver will look to pave a path toward victory for the Irish this time around after a successful eighth-place individual finish in Tallahassee.

Weaver and the rest of the team are ready and eager to get back on the course, Holt said.

“They are excited and ready to redeem themselves,” Holt said.

The Irish continue their spring seasons Friday through Sunday at the Clover Cup hosted by Notre Dame at the Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Ariz.

Contact Kit Loughran at kloughr1@nd.edu