SGA releases applications

Kaitlyn Rabach | Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Saint Mary’s Student Government Association (SGA) released applications for 12 open positions via OrgSync, the college’s new communication system, on March 15th. Applications are due by Monday, March 25th at 5 p.m

Junior Kat Sullivan, who was recently elected as the 2013-2014 student body president, said she hopes students from all majors and backgrounds will apply for a position.

“We have three executive positions and nine council of committee chairs open,” Sullivan, who currently serves as the vice president of external affiars, said. “I would really like to encourage students from all majors and concentrations to apply. You do not even have to have been involved with student government in the past. We want as many voices and perspectives as possible.”

The three executive positions include: vice president of finance, vice president of internal affairs and vice president of external affairs. 

“Executive positions require a larger time commitment than committee chairs,” Sullivan said. “If you are selected for one of these three positions you must work at least three office hours [per week] and attend both executive and separate council meetings.”

The nine council of committee chairs include: mission, community, technology, first year concerns, international, market services and media, social concerns, sustainability and food services. 

“Committee chairs work one office hour a week and hold one meeting,” Sullivan said. “Right now we have nine committee chair positions available. Depending on how many applications we receive, these positions may be expanded to include some co-chairs.”

Sullivan said OrgSync allows students to submit applications online, which is particularly convinient for students aborad.

“I emailed the Org Sync link to all students and all they have to do is fill the application out online,” Sullivan said. “It is more sustainable and students abroad can access it from anywhere.”

Sullivan said students on campus are welcome to sit in on executive and chair meetings to gain a better understanding of what the different positions entail. 

“If you are thinking about applying but haven’t made a decision yet, come to one of our meetings,” Sullivan said. “Executive meetings are on Tuesdays at 5 p.m. and committee chairs meet on Wednesdays at 9 p.m. Both meetings are in the SGA office in the second floor of the student center.”

She said the association is looking for individuals who have a strong commitment to the student body and have a passion for the positions they apply for.

“If each executive and chair is excited about their work there is no reason the student body shouldn’t be excited about it,” Sullivan said. “This excitement will create better communication across campus and will then encourage students to attend more events.”

Sullivan said her time on SGA has given her the opportunity to connect with students from all different class years and majors. 

“I have met people I otherwise wouldn’t have,” Sullivan said. “Together we were given a voice to represent our student body. Together we saw the campus evolve and we even noticed the little things we were responsible for changing.”

Upperclassmen encouraged Sullivan to run when she was a sophomore and she said the extra encouragement made a “world of difference”.

“I always looked up to the older SGA members,” Sullivan said. “They were great role models. I hope students will apply and be role models for future first-year students. With different voices, leadership and communication skills we can be strong role models and work to make next year a great year for SGA.”