Spring Break Fashion

When the weekend rolls around this Friday, we will all be free of academic strife and released into the wild for one week of stress-free existence. What's the best way to celebrate this newfound freedom? Dress like it, of course.

If you're heading somewhere warm and tropical it should be easy for you to embrace this call to action.

But first you have to get to your destination. Don't allow the airport to be an excuse for bad fashion. Like all true rock stars, you must use the airport as the ultimate runway.

Stay comfortable, but look chic while doing it. No sweatpants allowed. Try a pair of black leggings with this loose off the shoulder grey metallic top. Add a pair of ankle boots and you're set to be the toast of the security line.

Then it's time to hit up the beach in style. Use this as an opportunity to try out accessories that would seem out of place in the chill of South Bend.

Try out this floppy straw hat to protect your precious face from the elements. It's just bohemian enough to be interesting without being off-putting. It's also the perfect complement to your sea-salt tousled wavy hair.

Classic Ray Bans might be good enough for early Fall tailgating, but this spring break it's time to experiment with something a little more edgy. Go for something with a bit of a retro feel like these two-toned oversized cat-eye stunners. It'll be just the thing you need to protect your eyes from the scorching sun while you're out soaking up plenty of rays.

Instead of your standard shapeless beach cover-up, go for a strapless romper in a fun floral print. This version has a smaller floral pattern that isn't distracting and the interesting bodice makes it original. Accessorize it with a bold necklace and some platform wedges and your daytime cover-up can double as a playful outfit for a night out.

If you've decided to fully embrace the cold and hit the slopes for some skiing and snowboarding, your wardrobe may involve considerably more coverage, but you're still free to experiment with clothes that aren't your typical outfits for class.

The first thing you'll need is a classic parka to keep out the chill. Instead of going for the traditional, slimming black, go for something bright so that your friends can easily spot you on the mountain. This red down parka is trimmed with luxe fur to keep you even warmer. You'll look like you came straight from the Swiss Alps.

No amount of fashion aptitude can make ski boots look attractive, so you'll have to make up for it après ski, presumably by a fire in a warm cabin.

These Fair Isle leggings are the perfect complement to a warm mug of hot chocolate and are a more interesting way to incorporate this interesting pattern than a standard crew-neck sweater.

Another way to spice up your winter wardrobe is to choose a hat with some form of embellishment that marks you as unique. This studded knit beanie is the perfect way to look like you don't really care about your appearance and you just happen to look this awesome all the time.

It'll also keep your locks under wraps if you find they aren't looking stellar after a day of intense skiing.

Wherever you plan to go, be it sunny or snowy, don't let this style opportunity go to waste. Try something new and exciting without the pressure of an entire campus judging your choices. Who knows - you might just come back all the more bold and ready to incorporate something new into your everyday life.

Contact Courtney Cox at ccox3@nd.edu