Tune In: WSND and WVFI

Tired of listening to the same old iTunes collection? Top 40 not meeting your musical needs? Looking for a new way to procrastinate that paper? Expose your ears to Notre Dame's on-campus, student-run radio stations, WSND and WVFI. Whether you are interested in new classical tracks, the latest indie release or a funny talk show, these programs can provide the aural pleasures you desire. The stations stream live at  and wvfi.nd.edu. WSND also broadcasts live at 88.9 FM.

Folk Music

Senior Melissa Jordan hosts "Feelin'Folky," an hour-long program dedicated solely to folk music. Jordan has been with WVFI for the past three years, hosting a different show focusing on a different musical genre each semester. Students looking for folk music selected by an experienced host can listen to Jordan every Wednesday from 4 to 5 p.m.

Jazz

WSND's program "Jazz Traditions" provides the opportunity to hear jazz music from a variety of traditions. "Jazz Traditions" broadcasts Mondays and Tuesdays from 10 p.m. to 12 a.m. and Wednesdays from 8 to 10 p.m. Hosts Joseph Ahmad, Sam Kaczmarek and Benjamin Pfeifer, all seniors, play bebop, swing, fusion, modal and cool.

Indie Rock

Junior Cameron Goodman, one of WVFI's Music Directors, plays indie rock and alternative music, with a focus on the obscure and the newly-released. His program, "Spending Warm Summer Days Indoors," broadcasts Thursdays from 9 to 10:30 p.m. Those looking to expand their musical palette into a more hipster territory can tune in for the cutting edge of indie rock.

Symphony Orchestra

Every Thursday from 8 to 10 p.m., WSND broadcasts highlights from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's radio program. Students looking to learn about classical music can listen in for performances of both well-known and obscure pieces and a brief context for these pieces, including who wrote them and why.

Student Comedy

The "Student Stand-Up Sit-Down Radio Show" broadcasts Wednesdays from 10:30 p.m. to 12 a.m. Host Robert Reichle, a senior, and his guests provide listeners with a comedic study break, which usually focuses on the various exploits of Reichle's life. Students looking to hear some good comedy without taking a step outside their dorm room can listen to WVFI for this humorous stand-up-style talk show.

Broadway 

Freshman Jenny Poth hosts "ND on Broadway" every Thursday from 6 to 7 p.m. Students interested in belting out to their favorite show tunes can listen in to hear a wide selection of original Broadway recordings.

Late-Night Listening

Students staying up late to finish that paper or cram for tomorrow's exam can accompany their work with WSND's program "Nocturne," which broadcasts from 12 to 2 a.m. every night. Students play their own musical libraries, music from independent rock labels and any requests listeners call in. "Nocturne" can include any musical genre, from '80s exercise tunes to jam rock.

Hip-Hop

Junior Mia Lillis hosts "Straight Out the Dungeons of Rap" every Monday from 12 to 2 a.m. Lillis has been steadily building her knowledge of classical hip-hop since her early high school years. Those interested learning about classical hip-hop or sharing an already-established love of the genre can tune in for this informative and interesting show on WVFI.

Don't fear if your musical needs weren't met by a program covered here. WSND and WVFI have a slew of other genre-based programming just waiting to grace your ears. Visit  nd.edu/~wsnd and wvfi.nd.edu for more information on programming.