Avril Lavigne Makes a Comeback

Maddie Daly | Monday, April 22, 2013

Yesterday as I listened to Avril Lavigne’s new single “Here’s to Never Growing Up,” I was automatically transported back to 2002 when I was in fourth grade sporting Limited Too, dancing around the house singing “Sk8r Boi.”  With her punk-rock style and catchy pop songs, Avril Lavigne topped the request list at all my middle-school dances, so when I heard she came out with a new song more than 10 years later I immediately added it to my favorite playlist. The great thing about this song is it sounds exactly like all our favorite throw-back jams. You would never know a 28-year-old was singing it an entire decade after her peak.  

Despite the lack of originality, Avril’s new song has a lot to offer. First of all, it reminds me of my all-time favorite song “Forever Young” by Bob Dylan with its lyrics such as “Say, won’t you stay forever stay/If you stay forever hey/We can stay forever young.” Even though this theme has been a tad bit overdone between Jay-Z’s “Young Forever,” Taylor Swift’s “Never Grow Up” and most recently Ke$ha’s “Die Young,” I still have yet to tire of it. Avril’s latest attempt manages to be different enough with its pop beat and catchy verses to set it apart from the previous tunes.

Although the background music and rhythms sound like they were taken straight out of her early 2000’s hits “Sk8r Boi” and “Complicated,” the lyrics have definitely matured since then. This song is actually labeled “explicit” on iTunes, so it is not exactly something your fourth-grade self would have been singing along to in her room. By adding some curse words and alcohol references, Avril has distinguished this song from her 2002 jams in an attempt to show us that she has, in fact, grown up since then – although this song sounds like it’s being sung by an 18-year-old rather than a 28-year-old. But hey, here’s to never growing up, Avril. 

After doing a little research, I discovered this song is actually the first single from Avril’s new album, to be released sometime in 2013 (vague, I know). Snippets from this song were released in early April, and the entire song, as well as the lyric video, officially premiered April 9. The video is made up entirely of photos and videos from both fans and Avril’s band members, ranging from silly selfies to clips of teens lip-syncing the song. The video has a nostalgic tone that fits in perfectly with its theme of never growing up. In fact, the cover art for the single is a picture of Lavigne wearing heavy eye makeup and holding a teddy bear, reinforcing the “forever young” motto of the new single.  

As it gets warmer out and the number of school days dwindles, songs like this will be sure to put you in a happy summer mood. This new single is destined to be a summer favorite, and I can already picture myself driving with the windows down, blasting Avril’s latest hit. Even though she has been in and out of the music scene for the past 10 years, I believe this song has the potential to launch her comeback career.