-

-

Bookstore Basketball: Squad wins in front of large contingent of Holy Cross fans

Casey Karnes | Monday, April 29, 2013

As soon as the winning shot rattled home, the Sophomores at Holy Cross rushed toward midcourt to celebrate, and they didn’t do it alone.

They were met there by a throng of screaming fans, who circled the victorious players and began chanting. It wasn’t the players’ names they were yelling, however, but rather a jubilant chorus of “HOLY CROSS! HOLY CROSS!”

The Sophomores’ win was not just a repeat victory for more the team that won last year’s tournament under the moniker “Hoops We Did It Again,” but a point of pride for their college. 

While a large segment of the crowd seemed to be rooting for Romeo Medical Clinic, a sizable group of Saints students and fans gathered around one of the baskets. They were joined by the school’s mascot, who even put on a pathetic, yet very humorous, shooting performance on at halftime. After the Sophomores’ first basket, the smaller group drowned out the rest of the crowd with a triumphant roar.

With the victory, Sophomores at Holy Cross became the first team to win back-to-back Bookstore titles since Dos Geses accomplished that feat in 1997. But sophomore Darrell McIntyre still took more pride in another accomplishment.

“It feels really good to bring [the championship] back to Holy Cross,” McIntyre said. “It means a lot, because I love my school. They were very supportive, and we just came out here to get the win, make them proud.”

McIntyre and three of his teammates play for the Saints basketball team, and their solidarity shined through. On both offense and defense they seemed to communicate seamlessly, anticipating exactly where and when their teammate would cut. McIntyre said it was a comfort level developed in the Holy Cross gyms.

“We’re always around each other, so we always play basketball together,” McIntyre said. “It’s the same as the practice court, so we just carried it over and had fun.”

The Sophomores’ play lived up to logo on their white jerseys that read, “Holy Cross Basketball: We Play Hard.” They played hard for the championship, they played hard for each other, and most importantly, they played hard for their school.

Contact Casey Karnes at wkarnes@nd.edu