Men's Golf: Notre Dame readies for the Big East tournament

After battling back to finish fifth last week at the C&F Bank Intercollegiate, the Irish will head to Kannapolis, N.C., to participate in the Irish Creek Collegiate on Saturday and Sunday.  

Freshman Cory Sciupider earned co-medalist honors Tuesday following his strong performance during the C&F Bank Intercollegiate. Sciupider's round of 67 tied Eastern Michigan's Casey Olsen for first place and Irish junior Andrew Lane also turned in a solid performance, finishing in third place by firing a two-under par 68 to anchor the Irish at an impressive fifth place overall.
Irish coach Jim Kubinski said the Irish were pleased with their comeback effort after a slow start and are looking for week-by-week improvement.

"We feel good about our performance and bounce back in Virginia, but our goal this spring is to improve each week," Kubinski said.

Heading into their last two tournaments before the Big East championship, the Irish are looking to get hot as the weather warms.Kubinski said the Irish need West Coast natives junior Niall Platt and senior Paul McNamara III, who did not fare as well as Sciupider and Lane last week in Virginia, to improve their play as the schedule goes on and the temperature rises.

"We improved in Virginia, especially looking at both Cory Sciupider and Andrew Lane posting their collegiate best rounds to date," Kubinski said. "This week we need Cory and Andrew to continue their growth and get both Paul and Niall going again."  

For the Irish to build off the momentum established at the Intercollegiate, Kubinski said a total team effort will be necessary.

"We had two players do a nice job ... last time out, and I think the big things for us to get four and, ideally, five guys playing well," Kubinski said.

The Irish tee off Saturday at the Irish Creek Collegiate in Kannapolis, N.C., and return to the course for Sunday's second round.

Contact D.H. Kim at dkim16@nd.edu