-

-

ND Women’s Golf: Irish rise to top on Day Two

By Kit Loughran | Tuesday, April 23, 2013

After finishing Sunday in second place, the No. 26 Irish concluded the second round of the Big East championship Monday in first place after firing a three-under-par 285.

“The team played very well today,” Irish coach Susan Holt said. “The team effort was exactly what we needed.”

Notre Dame’s score of 285, which marks the team’s best round this season, pushed its team total to three-over-par 579 after two days. Second-place Louisville sits one stroke behind the Irish.

Though Notre Dame had a successful first round, Holt said the team improved from the first day to the second.

“The team played a lot better today,” she said. “The team shot nine shots better than the first day and really capitalized.”

The Irish entered the second round seven strokes behind the Cardinals after shooting a six-over-par 294 Sunday. Irish freshman Lindsey Weaver, ranked 18th nationally, maintained her second-place standing after firing a two-under-par 70. Weaver birdied four holes on the front and two more on the back nine. She leads the Irish with a total of nine birdies in the tournament.

Fellow Irish freshman Talia Campbell finished the second round tied with Weaver on the leaderboard after shooting a three-under-par 69. Though Campbell bogeyed the 11th hole, she was able to finish the round with three birdies and four pars.

“The team really capitalized on the opportunity to make birdies,” Holt said.

Irish sophomore and defending Big East champion Ashley Armstrong finished the round with an even-par 72 and sits in 13th place. Junior Kristina Nhim climbed from 11th place to 10th and rounded out the Irish scoring with a two-over-par 74. Sophomore Kellie Oride finished the round with a four-over-par 76 and rose from 22nd place to 17th.

“Though we had a couple hiccups along the way, overall the team played really well, and we are happy with it,” Holt said.
After two successful appearances, the Irish are in prime standing to claim the title, Holt said.

“We are back in position to win the tournament,” she said.
Paired with Louisville and Cincinnati in the third round, the Irish will have to keep consistent and not let down on the final day, Holt said.

“The course is giving up low scores, so we are going to have to earn it,” she said.

The Irish tee off tomorrow at 8:50 a.m. on the Reunion Resort Tom Watson Golf Course in Orlando, Fla.

Contact Kit Loughran at kloughr1@nd.edu