-

-

SMC Golf: Belles wrap up season

Observer Staff Report | Monday, April 29, 2013

Saint Mary’s wrapped its season up at the second and third MIAA NCAA qualifiers, finishing in third and second place, respectively, in after two well-played rounds at the Medalist Golf Club in Marshall, Mich

Following a team score of 360 on Friday, the Belles came out hungry on Saturday, and managed to turn in a 25-stroke improvement by shooting a 335.

Leading the way for the Belles on Friday were junior Paige Pollak and sophomore Janice Heffernan, who both tied for seventh individually by shooting an 87. Not far behind was freshman Claire Boyle, who finished in ninth place with an 88. Junior Alexi Brown and senior captain Jessica Kinnick tied for 22nd with matching rounds of 98.

Olivet extended its lead and set a course record with a team score of 319 on Friday. On Saturday, the Comets nearly matched that score when they shot a championship-clinching 322. The junior tandem of Theresa Damico and Adrienne Plourde dominated over the weekend, as both neared par by shooting weekend-lows of 76 and 74, respectively. The juniors turned in weekend stroke averages of 78, and Plourde’s 74 was a season-low.

Saturday was also successful for the Belles, who finished in second-place with a score of 335. Pollak and Heffernan dominated again with fifth and sixth-place scores of 82 and 83, respectively, while Brown came in eighth with an 84 and Boyle came in 11th with an 86 – both of which were improvements on the previous round. Kinnick was close behind, too, with a 14th-place score of 90.

Overall, Saint Mary’s wrapped up the three-round qualifier in second, narrowly edging Hope by three strokes with a combined team score of 1,048. The total was 71 strokes behind Olivet, who won the qualifier in convincing fashion with a three-round sum of just 971.

The weekend’s rounds were the last of a fairly successful spring season for the Belles, 

Four of the five golfers will be back in action with the Belles when they return to the links next fall.