SMC Softball: Belles drop doubleheader but look to bounce back

Meri Kelly | Friday, April 5, 2013

After a win last week, Saint Mary’s dropped both games of a doubleheader to Anderson on Thursday, losing 7-2 in the first game and 6-5 in nine innings in the second.

“We definitely had more confidence and I think are really starting to play better together as a team,” Belles coach Erin Sullivan said. “Although we didn’t get the outcome we had hoped for, we played well.”

Senior captain Emily Sherwood had a great performance, scoring both Saint Mary’s runs in the first game and batting 3-for-3 against the Ravens (10-8).

“Emily Sherwood had one of the best doubleheaders of her career,” Sullivan said. “She was solid on the field, but really stepped up at the plate and put the team on her shoulders.”

Junior Callie Selner, who was named MIAA pitcher of the week, endured a loss in the circle in the first game. Selner allowed seven earned runs on 12 hits with seven strikeouts and a walk.

Sullivan said looking back on the game, there are many areas ripe for improvement.

“We didn’t execute fundamental plays at times,” Sullivan said. “We need to be better at putting down bunts and adjusting to the pitcher sooner. We also can’t dig holes too early on.”

Sullivan also said almost all Anderson runs were scored off Saint Mary’s errors.

“It is tough to stomach two losses when we gave the games away rather than Anderson earning the wins,” Sullivan said.

The Belles will now look to rebound against Albion – their first MIAA opponent of the season – on Saturday.

“I think we are ready to play the games that really matter now,” Sullivan said. “We are excited and ready to show everyone how hard we have been working and the adjustments we have made to put us into a good spot to be very competitive in our conference.”

The Belles’ home-field advantage may also have a positive impact against the Britons (0-16, 0-2 MIAA).

“We are 2-0 at home and I think our fans really help,” Sullivan said. “We have a goal to go undefeated at home this year, so I think that is a positive motivator for us, as well.”

First pitch between the Belles and Britons is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday.

Contact Meri Kelly at mkelly29@nd.edu