SMC Softball: Belles travel to Trine for doubleheader

Despite the potential for rainy weather, the Belles will travel to Angola, Ind., to face Trine today in a doubleheader at 3:30 p.m

Coming off a split against Hope and six total games Saturday through Monday, the Belles (17-13, 7-3 MIAA) feel prepared to take on the Thunder (29-3, 12-0), the No. 1 team in the MIAA, Belles coach Erin Sullivan said. 

"We are excited to keep playing," Sullivan said. "We are doing well right now and besides a little fatigue ... we will be ready for four more games in the next two days." 

As well as being undefeated in the MIAA, Trine is the defending conference champion. Regardless, Sullivan said she believes the Belles could win if they perform how they did in their first game against Hope. 

"Trine is playing well so they have a lot of confidence," Sullivan said. "We need to go into the games prepared to win and knowing all of the pressure is on Trine to continue to perform well and keep their streak alive."

Sullivan also said the Belles need to prepare for Trine's fast pitching. Sullivan said the Belles mostly took Tuesday off but also took some cuts off the pitch machine at a higher speed to prepare for the pitchers at Trine. 

The Belles' pitching has been top notch, as well. Junior pitcher Callie Selner won her 10th game of the season against Hope, while Belles freshman Sarah Burke has won seven games this season. Sullivan said both are expected to play in the doubleheader against Trine. 

There is a chance of showers in Angola tomorrow, yet Sullivan said she believes they will play despite light rain. 

"The field at Trine is dry and tarped, so I think unless the rain is brutal or there is lightning, we will play," Sullivan said. 

Sullivan also said with the MIAA tournament a few weeks away, a win against the top-ranked team in the MIAA would greatly boost the Belles' morale. 

"We have struggled to get a win against Trine lately, so it would be a great boost of confidence for us and another step toward the conference tournament, certainly," Sullivan said.

Sullivan said this game not only puts the Belles up against great competition, but also provides a great learning experience for the duration of the season.

"I think this will be a good test to see what we are doing well and what we may need to improve when we get to the tournament," she said. 

The Belles will attempt to topple Trine in a doubleheader at 3:30 p.m. today in Angola, Ind.

Contact Meredith Kelly at mkelly29@nd.edu