Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Skittles' commercials a few years back asked people to taste the colors of the rainbow in their chewy fruity candies. Similarly, the homosexuality movement that is being pushed in today's culture asks people to see the colors of their rainbow. I have spent much time in thought, prayer, dialogue and research trying to understand the many aspects of the push for gay rights in America. With my deep faith, guidance in prayer and love as a Christian, I elicit my conclusions.
 Culture's latest social justice fad has been the gay movement, attracting attention on television news, Twitter and Facebook. The sign for the "gay equality" propaganda scheme has been an equal sign. I was shocked to see many of my friends turn a red equal sign into their profile pictures on Facebook, especially since I find one of the greatest arguments against the gay movement to be in this very picture. As representation of a homosexual civil union, the equal sign consists of two exactly indistinguishable bars with the same orientation that forever remained distanced from one another.  
To combat the equal sign, I also saw many of my friends post red crosses representing their pro-traditional marriage values. The cross accurately displays and describes the beauty of a marriage between a man and a woman. The cross: a juxtaposition of two different orientations which perfectly fuse into one single shape.
I do not use the term "gay marriage" because it does not exist. Marriage is a covenant between a man and a woman. Clarifying the word marriage with the word gay is a juxtaposition and oxymoron. It doesn't work.
As a Catholic in such a troubled world, I retain my deep belief in a loving and benevolent God who wants the best for his people. This same God created man and woman so that the two shall become one unified in love for one another and love for their creator through God's gift of sexuality to them. This same God created every person in his likeness, in his image, through his love for us. He created us with our strengths, weaknesses, good and bad qualities.
Some use this argument to justify homosexuality. Being gay or lesbian or undecided must be okay, because God made me this way. As a society, we don't use the "God made this person that way" argument to justify the behaviors of alcoholics, murderers, rapists, adulterers, robbers, swindlers, liars, cheaters or terrorists. Why do people use this argument for homosexuals?
Then, people turn away from God and say, "Gays should have the right to get married in America for tax purposes. It shouldn't even be about religion or God". I ask, why not? In time, the United States of America will dissolve, fall apart, and our seemingly important rights, freedoms and Constitution will all be lost. All people, however, will have to answer to the Kingdom of God ruled by the Creator Himself, His beloved Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. So why should we make laws that defy the will of God's eternal, glorious and all-powerful kingdom?
For non-believers, homosexuality also clearly defies the rules of nature. The purpose of any kind of living creature is to survive and produce a viable offspring. Animals (humans included) are designed to produce offspring. In nature, there is no way for homosexuality to produce offspring whereas heterosexual relationships do in fact produce offspring. That's why the human race still exists: because we aren't gay.
Comrades often point out that practices of homosexuality have been a part of human history. Most of the major prominent civilizations, Greece, Egypt, Rome and now the United States, have all had cultural fads of expressing homosexuality in some form. These crazes and fetishes of homosexuality have only developed in lavish, wasteful societies whose people seek pleasure more than anything else. Historically, the homosexuality mania disappeared and reappeared many times throughout human history, but heterosexuality remained, and for good reason. Without marriage between man and woman, humanity would have no future.
Despite all these arguments against the possibility of gay civil unions forming in America, I also demand that we show compassion, love and respect to all people in this world, following Jesus' example. There is no room for hate. As humans, we are all journeying through a life filled with hardship, suffering and pain, but united in love and peace we can find joy, happiness and comfort in the most desolate waters. But just like Jesus, loving a person is different from tolerating the sin that they commit. Jesus loved some of the wickedest people in his time: tax collectors, prostitutes and criminals. Jesus loved them, but he didn't accept their sin; he urged them to repent and live their lives in accordance with the will of His Father so that they too as sinners could come to share in the Kingdom of God. We must find a way to enter the hearts of those in our communities who struggle with homosexuality, love them, teach them, pray with them, heal them and change their hearts and lives.
Pope Francis as the Cardinal of Buenos Aires proclaimed the gay movement as a "destructive attack on God's plan" led by the devil. Somewhere over the rainbow, this issue will be settled. I hope and pray that we lovingly stand firm and fight for God's will and His Kingdom.

Carter Boyd is a freshman studying science-business. He can be reached at
cboyd1@nd.edu