South by South Bend: Rockin' Downtown South Bend

Coachella, Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, Sasquatch!, South by South West. Any of these names ring a bell? These multiday music festivals span across the United States from the farms of Manchester, Tennessee to the valley of Indio, California, boasting huge crowds and rocking music. But this year, you won't have to travel farther than downtown South Bend to enjoy a multi-artist music extravaganza. Friday, May 3rd to Saturday, May 4th marks the first ever South by South Bend (SXSB) music festival. Organized by residents of the South Bend area, this festival highlights local and traveling bands at a variety of venues in downtown South Bend.

Friday's schedule features folk rock performances at The Pool on W. Colfax Ave. These include Michigan-based Joshua Barton (who describes his music as "spacey folk tunes"), alternative rock group I AM BAND from Berrien Springs, MI, and Lauryn Peacock from Philadelphia, PA. Latin rock will be featured at the Boiler Room (the same location as The Pool), with artists AnivalFausto and LaloCura. Indie folk group Coed Pageant from Urband, IL will play at ChickoryCafé on Jefferson Blvd. The party continues into the night with South Bend locals Dog & Pony at Club LaSalle.

Saturday's full-day lineup promises tons of artists at the Kizer Mansion on W. Washington Street and The Gridiron between South Bend Chocolate Cafe and DoubleTree Hilton Hotel. The lineup is comprised of folk artist Glad Fanny from Oswego, IL, Chris Faero from Brooklyn, New York, "carp rock" South Bend duo The Rutabega, and tons more.

The headlining show will take place at The State on S. Michigan Street on Saturday evening. Tickets can be purchased for $25 on Brown Paper Tickets. Proceeds support the 26 bands performing throughout the weekend. You can also choose to donate your ticket purchase to other community causes, such as the environment, children, and human rights. The show will include experimental-folk-rock group The Soil and The Sun from Grand Rapids, harpist and songwriter Timbre from Nashville, TN, and "afropsychcountryprog" (why confine yourself to one genre?) band Infinite Buffalo from South Bend, among others. While the headlining show does require ticket purchase, all of the other venues will be accepting donations from attendees.

Throughout the weekend, you'll be able to choose your desired flavor of music - plugged in or acoustic - depending on the venue. Friday's show at The Pool, for instance, is the place to be if you are in the mood for the acoustic vibe. The festival presents the perfect occasion to support a burgeoning local and traveling music scene. An opportunity to be a part of South Bend's very first music festival (this is history making stuff, people!) and experience the musical creations of many talented artists is one that shouldn't be missed. If you've been itching for some culture and some new bands to put on your playlist, look no further than South By South Bend.

For more information on the weekend's festivities, check out the Facebook event page-SXSB 2013. You can also check out videos and MP3s of the bands playing at the festival. Parking will be free on both the streets and the garages downtown for the events. Rock on and support the music.