Spring Fashion: What you can finally wear again

Claire Stephens | Thursday, April 25, 2013

With South Bend teasing us with the prospect of a (late) spring finally arriving, the idea of finally ditching the Uggs and sweats for something colorful is coming into everyone’s minds. Since most of us have forgotten what it’s like to NOT desperately need a huge jacket covering whatever you’re wearing, it’s time to get those spring staples back in your closet.

Sure, you could check out what went down the fashion week runway, but unless you plan on wearing expensive works of art, your closet and the mall are the easy and reasonable choice to transition your wardrobe.  

Spring and summer always mean the bright colors, soft pastels, bold prints, floral anything and those controversial white pants can once again see the light of day. Besides the seasonal shift in color, check out what to dig out when you stash the down jacket and gloves.

Tops: Layering for looks (instead of for warmth)

Sleeveless tops and dresses are coming out, but a good article of clothing to have is the “go-with-anything” light sweater to throw over it. Whether it’s going to Mass, going to work or your really conservative grandmother you’re worried about, a thin sweater to throw on your bare shoulders can keep the criticism off your shoulders without bringing the heat. If you’re not a fan of sweaters, a fun scarf offers the flexibility to shape whatever you look you want for your instant modesty.

Other combinations of tops can be used to layer up the colors when just one top isn’t enough. Mixing camis, crop tops, sheer shirts and tanks can give you more bang for your buck since you can mix, match and re-wear the same tops to create different outfits. 

Bottoms: Any length for any occasion

Jeans are, of course, still an option if you aren’t quite ready to show the world some skin, but there are bottoms for every level of commitment to the summer, from long to short: capris, Bermuda shorts, skirts and short shorts, if you’re ready to be in a serious relationship with warm weather. Another good item from the winter to keep around is leggings, in case that skirt is just too short for your liking. Capris, longer, flowingskirts and the ever-professional pencil skirt allow you to dress for the season without going too casual. 

Shoes: Show some toe

No matter what height of heel you like, you can finally free your feet without worrying about hypothermia. Peep toe heels give the professional pumps a flirty kick. Flat shoe lovers can go beachy with flip-flops or Roman with gladiator sandals. A feminine flair can be added to any sandal with a bow or flower on the top of it. Brighter, louder colors and more natural, earth tone colors can be found for sandal styles. Whatever style and comfort level you demand for shoes, you can find summer shoes with open toes and fun straps to go with it. (And don’t forget the fun color pedicure to match!)

Accessories: Freedom to choose

The winter has its share of cute accessories, but most of them are decided for you: gloves, scarves, hats. Now that you can shed the heavy layers, you can pick the jewelry you want instead of what keeps you from freezing. Bracelets can be seen once the jacket is gone, longer earrings will no longer get stuck on the turtleneck, big hats can be worn without the wind tunnel taking them away. Now that the sun is making regular appearances, sunglasses are a must: reflective, dark, tinted, colored, thin, thick, anything goes – another functional and fashionable piece to add to the ensemble. 

Contact Claire Stephens at

The views in this column are those of the
author and not necessarily those of The Observer.