The Kickback: The Postal Service

Boy this week looked so promising with new release after new release. I was so stoked, especially after throwing myself a solo-dolo Coachella YouTube party in my dorm room this weekend.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Iron & Wine, Major Lazer. All disappointments, with the grand exception of Kid Cudi's "Indicud." The only knocker of the musical week was the song of Summer '13, Daft Punk's new single "Get Lucky" feat. Pharrell and Nile Rodgers.

I was ready to give up, until I came across The Postal Service's Deluxe 10thAnniversary Edition of "Give Up," which dropped last week. It features 25 tracks -including remixes and covers - and every song the duo (Death Cab for Cutie's Ben Gibbard and Dntel's Jimmy Tamborello) has ever created, but remastered.

It is just computer music, with beeps and bops like a robot complemented by the soothing wave of Gibbard's vocals. It is futuristic and basic, peppy and melancholy.

It was like 2003 and middle school all over again. And it was glorious.

"Give Up" had been a part of my archive since then, but just seeing everything put together, remastered and rereleased saved my week.

The obvious favorites are the catchy as ever hit singles "Such Great Heights" and "We Will Become Silhouettes." But I can never, ever get enough of the serene, go-with-the-flow vibe of "Recycled Air" or the sad story inside the bouncy ambiance of "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight."

The two-disc anniversary edition includes two new tracks, "Turn Around" and "A Tattered Line of String," which is more upbeat than anything we've heard from these dudes.  

The Postal Service, I guess I was the one worth leaving. But I'm so glad you came back.