Timeflies kicks off national tour at SMC

Up-and-coming musical duo Timeflies headlined Saint Mary's annual SMC Tostal concert Wednesday night.

Sophomore Sylvia Yacoub, singer and past participant on NBC's "The Voice," opened the performance at O'Laughlin Auditorium.

The student body chose Timeflies singer Cal Shapiro and producer Rob "Rez"Resnick as the event's headlining artists in a vote last December.

Shapiro said he and Resnick don't often perform in auditoriums.

"That was kind of interesting going in, but the ones that we have done in the past have been awesome," Shapiro said. "We are so excited to kick off the tour here. It'll be incredible."

The duo, both graduates of Tufts University, started Timeflies in 2010 and released their first album "The Scotch Tape" in 2011. They are scheduled to continue touring the country but said Saint Mary's was a great location for their first concert.

"It's a dream come true," Resnick said. "Much better than [performing at] an all-dudes college."

The duo is known as "Timeflies Tuesday" because they usually release a new song, either a freestyle or remix, each Tuesday. They said this setup has considerably developed their fan base on YouTube through the years.

"I couldn't believe we were able to get Timeflies [for SMC Tostal]," senior Caitlin McCarthy said. "My friends and I have been obsessed with them ever since they remade 'Wild Ones.'"

McCarthy wasn't the only one enthusiastic about the male duo, as screams upon screams accompanied their entrance and lasted throughout the entire performance. The pair began the show with some of their own songs and also included new material that will be released with their new album this summer.

At the show, the pair kept the crowd excited and jumping, especially when Shapiro freestyled to Ke$ha's "Die Young," adjusting the song lyrics to apply to Saint Mary's and Notre Dame.  

Shapiro's lyrics referenced Notre Dame-specific aspects, such as "Freshman dance party like we rockin' out at Domer Fest," and "I know they see us, I'm lookin' good like that Touchdown Jesus."

With neon lights and water bottles spraying the crowd, Timeflies introduced their newest hit, called "I Choose U."

"Their new song 'I Choose U' was phat," Notre Dame sophomore Jack McMahon said. "I downloaded it right when I got back to my dorm."

The show concluded with Timeflies' hip-hop remix of the Disney hit "Under the Sea," which was a crowd favorite.

Yacoub said she was excited to perform for her community, especially after her experience in Hollywood. At SMC Tostal, she performed a few hit songs along with some of her own music, much of which she sang while playing piano.

"I learned so much from 'The Voice,' like what kind of musician I want to be and how to just let go and sing completely from the heart," Yacoub said.

Yacoub said she plans to use her exposure to the music industry to her advantage and work with producers this summer to release an album soon.

"I was so pumped to open for Timeflies," Yacoub said. "I remember watching their videos last year and buying their whole album because I thought they were really cool. I love those guys. They are so dope."

Saint Mary's sophomore Grace McSorley said she loved hearing Yacoub's music.

"I was so thrilled to finally be able to see Sylvia perform. Watching her on 'The Voice' was an exciting experience last semester, and I couldn't wait to see her sing live," McSorley said.

Saint Mary's sophomore Mandy Gilbert raved about the concert.

"The show was incredible. Sylvia owned it," Gilbert said. "Cal is the most attractive guy on the planet. Rez's beats were insane. It could not have been a better show, and I think everyone loved it."

Contact Kelly Konya at kkonya01@saintmarys.edu