Notre Dame students complete bucket list items

Wei Lin | Wednesday, May 15, 2013

As members of the Class of 2013 check off items on their Notre Dame bucket lists, the soon-to-be graduates share the common goal of treasuring their final moments together as students. 

Senior Deirdre Bartlett said her last week ideally would include walking around the lakes and paying a visit to University President Emeritus Fr. Theodore Hesburgh

“I’m going to spend my last week visiting all the places on campus that are the most memorable to me, such as the Grotto, the Basilica [of the Sacred Heart] and various buildings, with my friends,” Bartlett said. “Mostly, [I want to] try to create memories with my friends before we are scattered across the globe.”

Bartlett said she would miss the Notre Dame community, including members of her residence hall, her classes and the Liturgical Choir, where she served as president.

“The Liturgical Choir has been a highlight of my four years at Notre Dame,” Bartlett said. “I’ll miss [my] friends within the choir and [my] experiences shared with them. We toured the Vatican, the West Coast and East Coast. … I loved how we made friends during our freshman year and were able to remain friends with them through senior year.” 

Senior Jessica Vallejo said her favorite part of Notre Dame was the Basilica’s “beautiful” Easter Triduum. Bartlett and Vallejo both said they hoped to complete a “chapel crawl” before graduation by attending Mass at every chapel on campus, including all the chapels in the residence halls and academic and administrative buildings.

Vallejo’s plans will also take her off campus to enjoy the greater South Bend area, she said.

“I’m going to the South Bend Chocolate Factory,” she said. “There’s this car museum here in South Bend and I’m going to go there, too.”

Vallejo said she also wanted to thank the workers at North Dining Hall for being so great and friendly.

Senior resident assistant (RA) EJ Sanchez said it was difficult to recall his favorite part of Notre Dame but that his friends defined the best moments of daily life on campus.

“I really enjoyed doing stuff with my dorm and friends,” he said. “I hung out, watched movies and talked with people I’m really good friends with. I will miss walking through [the LaFortune Student Center] and recognizing random but familiar faces.”

Sanchez said he fulfilled many of his bucket list items during his time at Notre Dame, such as completing the Holy Half Marathon, becoming an RA and participating in Bookstore Basketball. He said he had not been to Club Fever yet and wanted to find a time to go. 

“I haven’t thought of any crazy things to do [for Senior Week], but I want to spend lots of time with friends,” he said.

Senior Christina Dollar said the best part of Notre Dame has “always been the people.” 

“The people are what I will miss the most,” she said. “I’ll miss the dome. I’ll miss the campus and how everything is beautiful and gorgeous. The buildings are cool, the classes are cool, the professors are awesome and the stuff you learn is awesome. But I will miss the people and the conversations I’ve had with people the most.”

Dollar said she never made a Notre Dame bucket list, even for her senior spring semester. 

“I decided that I’d rather just do what I do and enjoy it,” Dollar said. “[I want to] get the most out of the normal time I have left [and] spend time with people whenever I can.” 

“I feel like I want to soak in this as much as I can. I find myself taking my camera everywhere and taking pictures,” she said. “I am noticing everything that’s around me and focusing on what’s going around me, because I don’t want to miss anything.”

Dollar said she feels like “it’s too soon” for her Notre Dame experience to end. 

“I feel like I’ve had a pretty full experience,” she said. “However, that doesn’t mean I want it to be over.”

Contact Wei Lin at wlin4@nd.edu