Irish offense leads Notre Dame to 28-6 win over Temple

No. 14 Notre Dame set a blistering tempo with its opening drive and drove the pace of the game all the way to a 28-6 victory over Temple.

The Irish (1-0) finished their opening touchdown drive in just 1:26, and followed with a second brisk scoring drive lasting 1:01.

Junior receiver DaVaris Daniels hauled in the first touchdown pass from senior quarterback Tommy Rees. The 32-yard catch was Daniels' first career touchdown reception. Daniels recorded his second career touchdown pass on Notre Dame's next drive - another 32-yarder - which put the Irish up 14-0.

Temple's junior quarterback Connor Reilly overthrew his receivers several times in the first quarter, but the Owls (0-1) managed to score on a one-yard run by junior running back Kenny Harper. Sophomore defensive lineman Jarron Jones blocked the extra point attempt, and Notre Dame led 14-6.

The Irish scored one more time in the first half on a touchdown pass to junior tight end Troy Niklas. Niklas caught Rees' pass on the Temple 49-yard line and ran away from Owl defenders for the touchdown. The scoring drive totaled 66 yards and took 18 seconds.

After three passing touchdowns, junior running back George Atkinson added a rushing touchdown in the third quarter. Atkinson powered into the end zone from the two-yard line to extend Notre Dame's lead to 28-6.

Rees and Jones achieved career highs in the game. Rees threw for a personal-best 346 yards, and Jones contributed a career-high 138 receiving yards.

The victory was Irish coach Brian Kelly's 200th career win.