ND welcomes new students

This year's freshmen relished a hectic, awkward and exciting freshman orientation this past weekend as they settled into life on campus.

Many freshmen enjoyed the opportunity to meet other students during the orientation weekend, which took place Aug. 23 through 26.

Fisher Hall freshmen and roommates Andy Miles and Garrett Schmelling said they put a sign on their door reading "free cookies," hoping their fellow Fishermen would stop by and get to know them.

Miles said his favorite part of Frosh-O was the chance to meet other residents of Fisher Hall.

"The best part has been meeting the other guys in my dorm," Miles said. "You meet guys from all over the country with different stories and experiences."

Schmelling said he also enjoyed meeting new people during Frosh-O, because the experience made him feel part of the campus community.

"Everyone we've met from our dorm and other dorms has been great," Schmelling said. "They make you feel like you've already been here and are already part of it."

Farley Hall freshman Hannah Dakin said she appreciated the opportunity to meet people from various dorms during DomerFest.

"I liked DomerFest because we got to meet a lot of people from other dorms who are studying different things and living in different places," Dakin said.

Sorin College freshman Chris Jarocki said he enjoyed a dinner event at Carroll Hall for the same reasons.

"My favorite event was dinner at Carroll Hall with freshmen from Carroll and Cavanaugh," Jarocki said. "It was nice to meet and talk to people from other dorms."

Badin freshman Lizzy Berg said the best part of her weekend was getting to know other Badin freshmen through creative icebreakers.
"My favorite activities have been our dorm ice-breakers," Berg said.

Berg said some events with other dorms became awkward when conversations lapsed.

"Events with guys' dorms were awkward when we had run out of things to talk about," Berg said.

Miles said he found it awkward when he came across someone he had met before but didn't remember the person's name.

"The most awkward part of Frosh-O for me has been anytime I forget someone's name after meeting them multiple times," Miles said.

Dakin said she considered performing Farley Hall's Frosh-O dances for other freshmen to be an awkward experience.

"It was awkward performing our dances in front of the other dorms, especially the boys' dorms," Dakin said.

Jarocki said he felt awkward attending the various colleges' educational open houses on his own.

"The most awkward part of Frosh-O was the educational open houses. I was by myself and didn't really know anybody," Jarocki said.

Schmelling said overall his first weekend on campus has led him to love Notre Dame and he doesn't expect that to change.

"I love it," Schmelling said. "I don't think it's ever going to get old. We've already seen most of the campus and it's awe-inspiring to see the golden dome and the football stadium."

Dakin said she appreciates the beauty of the campus and the kindness of the community.

"I really like Notre Dame. The campus is beautiful," Dakin said. "Everyone's been really nice and every time I get lost someone helps me."

Miles said he has wanted to attend Notre Dame for a long time and the Frosh-O experience is the beginning of fulfilling his dream.

"I've wanted to go here my whole life, so to experience what it's like to be a Notre Dame student is incredibly thrilling," Miles said.