Wednesday, May 8, 2024

SMC Soccer: Belles open season Friday

The Fighting Irish football team isn't the only one making their season debut this weekend. Saint Mary's soccer returns to the field Friday night for its season opener at Bethel.

Coming off a school-record 13 wins in which the Belles outscored opponents 41-14, expectations are running high in the Belles' locker room. They were picked fourth in the MIAA preseason poll, also garnering a first place vote.

Despite the high expectations, senior forward Kaitlin Teichman said the Belles are just trying to get their feet under them at this point in the season, adding that the Belles didn't have a specific game plan for Bethel.

"We're really just trying to keep everyone involved offensively," she said. "We'll also keep the intensity high, and with eight new freshmen, we want to develop some team chemistry in a game situation."

Even with eight newcomers, Teichman said team depth will be the least of the Belles' concerns come game time.

"There really isn't anyone we don't feel comfortable playing," she said. "We're just so deep this year, it won't be hard to keep our intensity high for the entire game."

Though the Belles have tremendous depth, Teichman added that doesn't mean there are not some key players.

"[Defenders] Mary Kate [Hussey] and Kerry [Green] will definitely be two of our most important players."Teichman said. "Everything starts with them."

Teichman said it's too early in the season to worry about areas of concern against Bethel.

"My only concern is we've only played in one scrimmage," she said. "We don't have the team chemistry yet, but neither does anyone else. We're just excited to get back onto the field and try to start the season off the season on a positive note."

The game starts at 5 p.m. Friday at Morey Field in Bethel, Ind.

Contact A.J. Godeaux at agodeaux@nd.edu