Activities Night highlights Saint Mary's clubs

Saint Mary's annual Student Activities Night took place Wednesday on the College's Library Green.  Hundreds of students attended the event and walked around with little blue bags to store all of their free pens, stickers, pamphlets and goodies from the various clubs.

Of the 80 clubs and organizations on campus, 65 registered for Activities Night, Vice President of Finance Emily Murphy said.  An additional 16 local non-profit service organizations attended to show students other ways to get involved in the South Bend community.

"Multiple clubs from Notre Dame were also involved in the event, such as the Notre Dame Swing Club and the Notre Dame Women's Ultimate Frisbee team," Murphy said.  "The point of the night was to give the clubs on campus a chance to showcase all that they have to offer our students."

For many clubs, the night was a great success.  Junior Grace Harvey, who founded the SMC Yoga Club last year, said she had over 150 sign-ups and even ran out of paper at her table.

"I couldn't believe the enthusiasm for the Yoga Club," Harvey said.  "It makes me excited that so many girls want to be a part of something that builds community.  I am looking forward to the continual growth of the club, especially now that my younger sister, Chris Harvey, is a freshman here and will also be teaching classes."

Besides numerous athletic clubs ranging from Boxing Club to Horseback Riding Club, many different art clubs showcased student abilities.

Junior Chelsea Scarnegie said her favorite parts of Activities Night were learning about the new Poetry Club and signing up for information on the Saint Mary's Literary and Art Publication, the Chimes. 

"I learned that the Chimes has been the College's creative publication since 1892," Scarnegie said.  "I am hoping to get published this year, but it will also be fun to join their editorial board and help choose the pieces that will be printed."

Diane Fox, from the Office for Student Success, said she thinks getting involved on campus enhances a student's overall education.

"Campus activities and clubs help students learn to prioritize academics with life and manage time," Fox said.  "Maintaining a balanced life in college allows students to feel themselves mentally, spiritually and physically.  This enhances the person's personal evolution as well as helps to prevent burnout."

Junior Nicole O'Toole, president of the Republicans Club, said the night was a true success because it brought the entire community together in a fun way.

"It was cool to just sit back and watch all of the retuning club members of each organization inspiring new members to join," O'Toole said.  "Everyone here has a passion for something, and I love watching students find new connections that will make college more enjoyable and memorable."