-

-

Bremyer named new director

Elizabeth Kenney | Friday, September 13, 2013

Elizabeth Kenney

News Writer

The Saint Mary’s Writing Center welcomed Aaron Bremyer as its new director last summer after the previous director, Kathy Thomas, retired in May. 

Bremyer said he and his wife, assistant professor of English Dionne Bremyer, are thankful to be at the College.

“We both fell in love with the place, fell in love with the students and fell in love with our colleagues,” Bremyer said. “So far, so good.” 

Aaron Bremyer said this is his first time working at a single-gender institution. Although he was unsure about the experience at first, he said now he really enjoys it. 

“Students are students and people are people,” he said. “I love not having loud jerks running around campus. It is so quiet.”

Bremyer graduated from Emporia University, in Flint Hills, Kansas, with a degree in secondary English education. After teaching high school English for two years, he returned to Emporia to earn a Masters of English. He then moved to the University of Connecticut to pursue a doctorate in English. There, he first gained experience working in a writing center. 

“I saw this as an extension of the teaching that I was doing but also understood that it was quite different,” Bremyer said.

When he took a teaching position at the University of West Georgia, Bremyer said he simultaneously continued his part-time work with writing centers. 

Bremyer said collaboration will be the key to a successful Saint Mary’s Writing Center. He said 

The Writing Center can help all students, no matter what their ability levels are.

“Very successful writers come and benefit from working with our tutors, so [the Writing Center] is for any level of preparedness,” Bremyer said.  

The Writing Center now offers 30-minute and hour-long appointments, Bremyer said. Before, scheduling was limited to hour-long sessions. 

“We help any student at any point in the writing process,” Bremyer said.

Bremyer emphasized the importance of writing as a necessary life skill.

“Being able to … communicate well in writing, as well as in any other mode, is an essential quality,” he said. 

Bremyer said the Center offers a gradual process of assistance for writers looking to grow.

“Not every tutorial will be life-changing or develop the paper in some perfect way. Not every paper is going to be an ‘A,'” Bremyer said. “That is not our goal, anyway, but it is to improve through practice, slowly and steadily. Every writing assignment will be better for having visited the Writing Center, and that is a powerful tool.”