Campus Ministry launches new app

On Aug. 1, Campus Ministry launched a smartphone calendar application that features faith-based campus events and provides access to the Alumni Association's daily prayers, saints and gospel reflections.

Kate Morgan, associate director of communications at the Office of Campus Ministry, said the app, called ND Daily Faith, is available for free download on all Apple and Android devices.  Morgan said the app already has several hundred users. 

"We really want students to be able to have access to all the faith-based events that are happening on campus in one location," Morgan said.  

The calendar features occasions like upcoming masses, retreats, fellowship group meetings, lectures and various other events, Morgan said. She said links to registration forms will also be available through the app.

Morgan said users can tailor the app to meet their preferences in terms of display, as well as enable reminders for upcoming activities.

ND Daily Faith lists not only upcoming Campus Ministry events, Morgan said, but also includes the events of other University departments, including the Congregation of Holy Cross, the Center for Social Concerns, the Center for Ethics & Culture, the Institute for Church Life, the Department of Theology, the Alliance for Catholic Education, Multicultural Student Programs and Services and the Basilica of the Sacred Heart. She said this makes the app a single comprehensive Notre Dame faith-based calendar.

Morgan said no other Notre Dame department has a comprehensive smartphone application like Campus Ministry's new app.  

"This is the first of its kind and we're pretty proud of that. We didn't want to create one more website for students to have to go to if apps are things more commonly used with smartphones.  We wanted to try to do something a little bit different," Morgan said.

The idea for ND Daily Faith was originally conceived in January, Morgan said, and she hoped the app would allow for greater awareness of and participation in Campus Ministry events and activities.

"Through this app, Campus Ministry hopes to meet students where theyare," she said.

Morgan said that overall, Campus Ministry aims to increase its presence on campus.  

"I think that, at the University of Notre Dame, faith development and formation is just as big a part of students' experience as is football, and it should be embraced as such," she said. "We need to provide easier, more accessible ways for students to become more involved in our programs and learn more about us."