DPAC Film Previews

It's Tuesday. The horrors of Monday are over, but the weekend is nowhere in sight. It's not even Hump Day yet. What's a stressed-out, careless undergrad to do to let off some steam?

Stroll down to the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center (DPAC) for award-winning and cheap/free movies playing all week long.

Tonight at 8:00 p.m. feed your hunger for drama with "Intolerance," a 1916 silent epic. This film cuts across centuries and connects disparate stories, from modern crime to Christ's death to the fall of the Babylonian Empire, like a black-and-white "Cloud Atlas." 

Production for "Intolerance" cost more than $2.5 million and involved more than 3,000 people - the set was more crowded than the Stepan Center during DomerFest. Better yet, this movie will cost you a grand total of $0.00, admission is free for Notre Dame students. 

The American Film Institute (AFI) ranks "Intolerance" at No. 49 out of 100 and holds a 96 percent approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Pretty good, considering that "Intolerance" was considered a total flop when it was first released ... maybe there's still hope for "The Lone Ranger?"

On Thursday at 7:00 p.m. enjoy the winner of the 2012 Cannes Jury Prize, "The Angel's Share," a hilarious tale about an ex-convict and brand new father as he evades trouble in Scotland. 

Ken Loach is the director, known for his stylistic realism and crafted scripts. Loach has worked with the best of the best, including Dustin Hoffman and Robert Duvall. If you like malt whiskey or Scottish sentimentality, this is a must-see.

Rotten Tomatoes gives "The Angel's Share" an 89 percent approval rating, and admission is $4.00 for students, $7.00 for regular tickets.

Looking for the perfect date night? Look no further - "Before Midnight" completes Richard Linklater's trilogy with gorgeous views of the Greek coast and the charming Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy duo. 

As the somewhat mysteriously-filmed sequel to "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset" (Delpy denied the production was happening only a few months before filming started in Messenia), "Before Midnight" was a hit at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival.

The film grossed over $20 million worldwide and currently has a 98 percent approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. 

Show times this weekend are 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Tickets are $4.00 for students and $7.00 for regular tickets.