Men’s Golf: Irish struggle at home

Isaac Lorton | Wednesday, September 25, 2013

After finishing Monday’s play in the sixth position, the Irish had a rough second day to finish seventh overall out of 13 teams at the Fighting Irish Gridiron Classic at Warren Golf Course.

Notre Dame shot a 296 on Tuesday to cap off scores of 294 and 291 on Monday and finish with a team total of 881. Not even home course advantage seemed to help Notre Dame, Irish coach Jim Kubinski said.

“Coming into it, we thought we would have good competition in top teams like Houston, but we thought with our team and it being our course, we would finish in the top three or four,” Kubinski said. “Unfortunately, that didn’t happen.”

Houston took first place with a tournament-record score of five-under 847 (282, 283, 282). Houston junior golfer Kyle Pilgrim finished in the top individual spot with a weekend total of 208 (71, 71, 66). Michigan State came in second (284-294-284) and Yale placed third (291-289-287).

Kubinski said the Irish had some good moments over the course of the tournament, but as a whole the squad did not live up to expectations.

“Overall, it was just one of those tough losses,” Kubinski said.

On Monday, the Irish were unable to break 75, with the exception of senior captain Niall Platt.    

“We didn’t play well [Monday],” Kubinski said. “We were all pretty disappointed in our performance.”

Platt led the Irish with a three-under 69 to finish the weekend with a total of 215 (74-72-69). Platt finished in 12th place in his fourth last Gridiron Classic.   

“Niall [Platt] did a fantastic job today,” Kubinski said. “He birdied his last three holes. He has played this tournament with us for the past four years and I was glad to see him end it well.”

It is not common for the Irish to shoot that high as a team, Kubinski said.

“Other than Niall, no one else broke 75,” Kubinski said. “That’s rare for us. Especially when it’s warm like it was [Monday] and being at home. We typically average 70, 71, 72, but it was disappointing that no one else broke 75.”

Kubinski said although the Irish did not perform up to their typical abilities, they recognized some areas to fix and have time to fix the flaws.

“The good news is that we have a couple of weekends off to improve ourselves,” Kubinski said. “We have identified a few things we need to work on – each player has their own individual issues to improve. The good thing is that we have time to do it, we have a few weeks to work on it.”

The Irish next compete at the Crooked Stick Intercollegiate on Oct. 14 and 15 in Carmel, Ind.     

Contact Isaac Lorton at ilorton@nd.edu