ND Women's Golf: Irish claim seventh in Tennessee

Notre Dame held its own this weekend against a tough field at the Mercedes-Benz Collegiate Championship at Cherokee Country Club in Knoxville, Tenn., as the Irish finished seventh out of 17 teams.

Notre Dame finished with a two-round team score of 588 (298-290). 

Leading the effort for Notre Dame were sophomore Talia Campbell and freshman Jordan Ferreira, who tied for 14th with a two-day total of 144. Campbell and Ferreira each shot a 73 on Friday's first day of competition and a 71 in Saturday's second round, which was suspended by rain and continued Sunday.

Campbell and Ferreira were two of just 10 golfers in the field to break par in the second round,

Still just several weeks removed from a wrist injury, Armstrong took a slight step back from her third-place finish at last weekend's Mary Fossum Invitational, as she posted a 78 and a 74 to finish with a total of 152 and tie for 56th overall.

Just ahead of Armstrong were senior Kristina Nhim and junior Kelly Oride, who shot a total of 150 and a 151, respectively. Nhim finished tied for 46th place with a 76 in the first round and a 74 on Sunday. Oride continued a solid streak of performances by posting a 76 in the first round and a 75 in the second round to finish tied for 54th overall.

Freshman Janie Fineis rounded out the group with an 87 and an 85 in her two rounds, which was good for a tie for 92nd place. 

Notre Dame will have some time off before the Irish head to Chapel Hill, N.C., for the Tar Heel Invitational, which begins Oct. 11.