ND Women's Golf: Irish open season at Purgatory Golf Club

Notre Dame started off their season at the Purgatory Golf Club in Noblesville, Ind., on Sunday at the first-ever IU Fall Kickoff. In a Midwestern showdown, headlined by No. 5 Purdue, the Irish played as individuals only.

Among stiff competition, senior Kristina Nhim stood out, shooting just two-over par with a 74. That score was just five strokes shy of the leader, Louisville senior Tara Lyons, who posted an impressive 69. 

Freshman Jordan Ferreira was just behind Nhim, who finished tied for 18th at four-over (76). Sophomore Talia Campbell shot 77, good enough for a share of 27th place. Campbell is coming off of an impressive first year, in which she fell just one stroke short of qualifying for match play in the Amateur Championship.

Freshmen Janie Fineis finished in 36th place after shooting a round of 78. Rounding out the group for the Irish, junior Kelli Oride shot a 79, which put her in a tie for 37th overall. Junior captain Ashley Armstrong did not compete Sunday.

Notre Dame did not compete as a team, but former Big East-rival Louisville won the team tournament with a total score of 285. Host Indiana came in second, trailing by 11 strokes.

Up next, Notre Dame will head to East Lansing, Mich., for next weekend's Mary Fossum Invitational at the Forest Akers West Golf Course.

Contact Cole Schietinger at cschieti@nd.edu