Tuesday, May 14, 2024

SMC president volunteers as target for pie fundraiser

Friday afternoon, the Saint Mary's student center was filled with pie-throwers, whipped-cream-covered professors and onlookers as the Saint Mary's Affiliation of the American Chemical Society (SMAACS) held its first-ever Pie-Your-Professor event.  

Junior Kate Bussey, SMAACS president, said the event was organized as a way to blend fun with raising support for the group.

"Being a chapter of the American Chemical Society, SMAACS provides support to students looking to further their career in chemistry as well as community outreach to attract attention to the sciences ... and we have tons of fun along the way," Bussey said.

One of the main attractions of the Pie-Your-Professor event was the pie-ing of Saint Mary's President Carol Ann Mooney. Mooney donned a yellow poncho and safety goggles and made her way behind the tarp-covered barricade as students paid for their whipped-cream-filled plates.

Mooney said she volunteered to show support for SMAACS.

"It raises community spirit and it helps fund the chemistry club for our students," she said.

Junior Morgan Carroll said she couldn't believe Mooney's willingness to participate and be smothered with pies by students.

"I think seeing President Mooney here definitely gets a lot more people involved," Carroll said. "Bringing such an important member of our Saint Mary's community here is great, and it's awesome seeing such a fun, silly, personable side of Dr. Mooney."

Bussey said SMAACS was thrilled with Mooney's involvement as well.  

"Her participation in our event displays her support of our club, but even more so, her dedication to every aspect of our amazing college community."Bussey said.

Raising $400 over the course of the event, Bussey said SMAACS hopes to make Pie-Your-Professor an annual fundraiser, drawing more excitement and even larger turnouts in the upcoming years.  The money raised during Friday's event will be put toward a magic show this October.

"Our chemistry magic show will be held when the kids come trick-or-treating on campus for Halloween," Bussey said.  "This will be public outreach in hopes of instilling an interest of the sciences in young minds. We are very pleased with the outcome of the event."

Contact Margaret Johnston at mjohns01@saintmarys.edu