Coccia addresses Alma Mater policy

In Wednesday's meeting, Student Senate addressed concerns over the football team's policy to not sing the Alma Mater after home losses and potential innovations at Card Services.

Student body president Alex Coccia said he had met with officials in the football office, varsity leprechaun Johnny Romano and senior Matt Cunningham, president of the Leprechaun Legion, to discuss the team's policy regarding the Alma Mater. 

Coccia said the football office is considering their response to the policy, but Irish coach Brian Kelly has the final decision.

Senate hosted Scott Kachmarik, director of auxiliary services, to talk about developments with student ID cards.

Over the past several years, Kachmarik said, Card Services, which has relocated to the fourth floor of Grace Hall, has been trying to modernize and update the ID card system. 

"What we're trying to do is make a better program," he said. "We want the card to be a standalone enterprise. A lot of places - Michigan, Northwestern, for example - have branded their card. We want to create a rewards program and launch the Irish1brand."

Currently, Card Services is in the process of finding a new director. Next week, three applicants will be visiting campus to meeting with student focus groups and student government members, Kachmarik said.

Kachmarik said Card Services hopes to expand the off-campus Domer Dollars program in the next year.

"We started off small on Eddy Street right off campus, but we'd like to get to a point where all the places you go off campus are accepting DomerDollars."

World's Famous BBQ in Roseland, CVS and Penn Station are the latest local business to join the program, while 7-Eleven and Marco's are slated to come on board in the next several months, Kachmarik said.

Senior class president Carolina Wilson said she is worried that with an expanded card system, the threat of fraud and theft would be more of an issue. She asked if Card Services might add a verification code to ID cards.

Kachmarik said security was a high priority for all involved in card services.

"You can go online and either deactivate your card if it has been stolen, or you can put it on hold if you think you've lost it but it will turn up," he said. 

Kachmarik said other possibilities with the new card system, slated to launch in summer of 2015, include putting football tickets on student cards and extending the Domer Dollars plan to dorm eateries, as Zahm House has already done.

Senate also welcomed the new freshman class president Andrew Green, who was elected during this week's FCC meeting.