Men's Golf: Wingo leads Irish with six birdies in round one

The Irish currently stand in fifth place going into the third day of golf in the Invitational at the Ocean Course in Kiawah Island, SC. 

The Irish are competing against No. 8 George, No. 17 South Florida and No. 39 Kentucky. South Florida leads the pack with an even-par score of 576, while Notre Dame trails behind with a score of 597 after scoring a 301 in the first round and 296 in the second.

"We drove the ball very well today," Irish coach Jim Kubinski said. "Our team has done a nice job from tee to green so far this week."

The Ocean Course, home of the 2012 PGA championship, is set up at a par 72 and 7,051 yards for the tournament. 

Junior Tyler Wingo leads the Irish, tied for seventh, with a score of 145 (one-above-par) after two rounds of golf. He golfed a 68 (-4) in his first round and a 77 (+5) in his second round. 

"Tyler [Wingo] has hit the ball very well," Kubinski said. "His 68 yesterday was not only his college best but one of the best rounds anyone will play at Kiawah."

Wingo had six birdies in his first round and only two bogeys. But he had trouble in the beginning of the second round, finishing with a bogey and a double bogey on the first two holes. 

The next Irish player in the standings is senior Niall Platt, who is tied for 14th. Platt shot a 76 (four above-par) for his first round and 71 (one below-par) for his second round for a overall score of 147. 

Junior Patrick Grahek is currently third for the Irish and tied for 35th overall. He shot a score of 152 (+8), after a first round score of 80 and an even 72 in the second round.

"I loved Patrick [Grahek] bouncing back with a 72 yesterday, after a tough first day," Kubinski said. "Maybe it was a birthday present for him, as he turned 21 yesterday. He played an incredibly steady round today."

In his second round, Grahek shot a bogey on the fifth hole to bring him one above-par, then shot nine pars in a row and finished with a birdie and two pars to bring him to an even score. 

The Irish will start their final day of golf today at 7:20 am in a shotgun style format.

Contact Meredith Kelly at mkelly29@nd.edu