-

-

Men’s Interhall: Alumni blanks Duncan

Sports Writers | Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Alumni 19, Duncan 0

By EVAN ANDERSON

Sports Writer

Senior captain and receiver Jeffrey Kraemer caught two touchdown passes as Alumni rode a stifling defensive performance to a 19-0 win over Duncan.

The Dawgs (2-0) were extremely balanced offensively, as freshman quarterback Trevor Hurley completed seven of 10 passes for an efficient 135 yards. Five backs combined to rush for 122 yards on 18 carries. Kraemer said he believes the offense will only continue to improve.

“I think you saw our potential offensively in the first half tonight,” Kraemer said. “We have a strong freshman class, plenty of speed, guys that can catch the ball, guys that can carry the ball … what more could you want?”

Hurley said he was pleased with the improvement of his offense in his second start. He also echoed his captain’s assessment of the team’s offensive ceiling.

“Today we had mismatches on the outside, and we were able to take advantage of those,” Hurley said. “We have the speed to get to the outside, and bigger guys that can run up the middle … that plus our receivers on the outside, we’re going to be pretty good.”

Duncan (0-1) junior captain Alan Keck said the team’s performance left plenty to be desired.

“The only positive from today is that we know what we need to work on in practice … tackling, blocking, everything,” Keck said. “Other than that, there isn’t much positive to take from this game.”

The Dawgs will place their undefeated record on the line against next Sunday against Siegfried, while Duncan will look to bounce back against Morrissey.

Contact Evan Anderson at eander11@nd.edu

Carroll 14, St. Edwards 8

By ALEXANDRA LANE

Sports Writer

Led by its powerful offense, Carroll defeated St. Edwards 14-8 on Sunday.

The Vermin (1-0-1) capitalized early, scoring on their first possession of the game a run by senior captain and quarterback Bobby Dorman. Dorman proved to be a key player in the game, scoring both touchdowns for Carroll and kicking the extra point for the team on both occasions.

“Our offense was really important for us today, especially in the first half,” Dorman said.  “We were able to just keep drives going. We were able to get first downs and keep the ball moving down the field.”

The team was looking for a shutout against St. Edwards, but the Stedsmen were able to come alive in the fourth quarter, driving down the field using a quick passing attack and scoring a touchdown through the air.

The Stedsmen (1-1) were happy they made a late run at Carroll according to senior receiver Chris Patterson, who said the two-point conversion really made a difference for the team.

“We’re a great team,” Patterson said. “We spread the ball around and tried to get some penetration on defense. It was tough out there but we gave it our all,”

The Stedsmen played well enough to impress Carroll senior captain and offensive lineman Michael Russell, but he still thinks the Vermin should have played better in the fourth quarter

“[St. Edwards] is a much improved team,” Russell said. “I thought we played well … but we came out a little slow in the second half so we need to work on that and work on finishing the game.”

Carroll brings this positive momentum into bye week, while St. Edwards looks to improve its record against Fisher on Sunday.

Contact Alexandra Lane at alane2@nd.edu

Keough 22, Dillon 6

By RENEE GRIFFIN

Sports Writer

Keough pulled out a decisive win Sunday against Dillon, with a final score of 22-6.

After a scoreless first quarter, the Kangaroos (1-0) were able to put together a drive in the second quarter that set the pace for the rest of the game. Senior captain and quarterback Seamus Donegan connected with senior receiver Sammy Bungum in the end zone. Donegan saw the touchdown as the turning point of the game.

“The first quarter we were kind of putting the pieces together a little bit,” Donegan said. “We finally came together on that touchdown drive in the second quarter and from then on out we really clicked.”

Ball security issues plagued Dillon (1-1) in the second half, allowing the Kangaroos to turn the game into a rout. A fumbled snap recovered by Keough led to a long touchdown run by sophomore running back Mitch Patin in the third quarter, and a Dillon interception in the fourth quarter allowed Donegan to complete a touchdown pass to freshman receiver Auggie O’Hern for the Kangaroos’ third touchdown.

The Big Red hope to bounce back next week and avoid some of the mistakes they made against Keough, said senior lineman and captain Nate Steele.

“We played better than we did last week but it definitely left a lot to be desired,” Steele said. “Next week is a must-win for us to stay in the running for getting into the postseason. Improvement is going to start in the offensive and defensive line.”

Dillon will have a chance to show those improvements against O’Neill on Sunday, while Keough will play Keenan the same day in an attempt to remain undefeated.

Contact Rene Griffin at rgriffi6@nd.edu

Siegfried 7, Knott 0

By ALEX CARSON

Sports Writer

Knott made a comeback in the final minute, but an interception by sophomore defensive back Jeremiah Dalton sealed the 7-0 victory for Siegfried in the opening contest of the annual Flanner Cup competition between the two halls.

The Ramblers (2-0) had a strong first-half performance from junior quarterback Nathaniel Burggraf, who threw for 91 yards and a touchdown in the opening half. A balanced attack across the board secured a second-straight victory for Siegfried.

“Our line played strong as usual, we had very smart play with our quarterbacks and receivers and we kept at them,” senior captain John Moore said. “We’re ready to head to [Notre Dame] Stadium. We’re on our way.”

The Juggerknotts (0-2) were shutout for the second week running and failed to cross the 50-yard-line until the fourth quarter of the game. However, Knott threatened on three occasions in the fourth quarter, the final coming on the game-clinching interception by Dalton.

“I was sinking back a bit too much to start the game,” Dalton said. “I made some adjustments and sat in the flat and once the ball went in the air, I became the receiver.”

The Ramblers avenged last year’s loss, their first to Knott in a decade, to start off Flanner Cup Week on the right foot. Flanner Cup competitions will continue this week between the two halls.

Siegfried is back in action Sunday against Alumni, while it will be two weeks until Knott sees the field again, taking on Morrissey on Oct. 13.

Contact Alex Carson at acarson1@nd.edu

Sorin 0, Fisher 0

By BRIAN PLAMONDON

Sports Writer

In a game that featured two stingy defenses, Sorin and Fisher battled to a scoreless tie Sunday.

The game came down to the last minute, when Sorin (0-0-1) had fourth-and-goal from the two-yard line and failed to capitalize.

Neither team entered the red zone until Sorin began a drive on the 17-yard line following a 45-yard interception return by sophomore linebacker Galvin Loughran. The Otter defense, led by a strong front seven that includes senior lineman Dan Yi, added another interception to go along with a fumble recovery and a blocked field goal. Despite the great defensive play, Sorin’s offense was stagnant for most of the game according to Yi.

“We have to work on execution,” Yi said. “We have to figure out how to use these guys on offense and we will be fine.”

Fisher (0-0-2) fielded a defense that was just as dominant as Sorin’s. Led by junior linebacker Matthew Nagy, the Green Wave defense held Sorin to 17 passing yards and under 80 total yards for the day.

The Green Wave defense bent, but did not break on the game’s final drive, when they allowed a 24-yard pass play that brought Sorin inside the10-yard line. They made up for it when, on fourth-and-goal, the defense penetrated the Sorin offensive line and took down the runner for a loss of three yards. Nagy has been impressed with the stinginess of the Green Wave thus far this season.

“Shutting [Sorin] out, and holding Carroll to three points last week, I’ve been really pleased with our defense,” Nagy said.

Sorin plays Zahm on Sunday, while Fisher plays St. Edward’s the same day, as both teams search for their first win of the season.

Contact Brian Plamondon at bplamond@nd.edu

O’Neill 12, Stanford 0

By CHRISTINA KOCHANSKI

Sports Writer

O’Neill shut out Stanford in a 12-0 victory Sunday with defense at the center of the battle.

After a scoreless first quarter, O’Neill senior Calvin Hemington made the first of the Mob’s two interceptions. Hemington’s interception gave O’Neill (1-1-0) the ball in Stanford (0-2-0) territory, but the offense was unable to convert the opportunity.

O’Neill senior quarterback Brandon Boldt scored shortly before halftime on a touchdown run, but the field goal attempt was blocked by Stanford’s defense. O’Neill junior captain and linebacker Donghoon Lee was satisfied with both his offense and defense this week, but knows the Angry Mob can’t afford to leave points on the field by missing field goals.

“I loved everything I saw except for the field goal, so this week I want to work on special teams,” Lee said. “Outside of that everything looked great and I just want to keep it up.”

Early in the third quarter, Boldt connected with senior receiver Troy Suter in the end zone to bring the score to 12-0.

“Suter’s touchdown in the second play of the third quarter was a game breaker,” Lee said.

Stanford entered the red zone when junior quarterback Ryan Prom threw a long pass from Stanford territory to freshman receiver Brent Jordan. The Mob’s defense kept the Griffins out of the end zone.

Stanford’s offense will undergo restructuring before they attempt to bounce back from Sunday’s defeat. Stanford senior captain Isaac Evans says the Griffins will come out of their bye week with fresh approach.

“We’re coming out with a whole new offense next week,” Evans said. “We have a bye next week so we’re using it to institute our new offense.”

The Griffins face off against Keough while the Mob take on Dillon on Sunday.  

Contact Christina Kochanski at ckochans@nd.edu