ND Women's Golf: Irish tie for 11th place in N.C.

Notre Dame concluded its fall season over the weekend by tying for 11th place at the Landfall Tradition at the Country Club of Landfall in Wilmington, N.C

The Irish concluded the tournament, which ran from Friday to Sunday, with a three-day score of 924.

The team shot a 314 on Friday and followed it by shooting a 305 both Saturday and Sunday. Ohio State and North Carolina tied the Irish in 11th place.

Junior captain Ashley Armstrong led the way for Notre Dame, shooting a 224 over three rounds to finish in 16th place. The tournament was one of Armstrong's most consistent of the season, as she started the weekend with a pair of 74s before ending with a 76. 

Irish coach Susan Holt said she saw positives from her captain over the weekend.

"I think the biggest thing for [Armstrong] is just consistency from day to day," Holt said. "She had a 76 on Sunday, but did the back [nine] closer to par."

Despite a wrist injury early in the season, Armstrong had an impressive fall, Holt said.

"[Armstrong] had the best season of all of the players," Holt said.  "Her injury was just a weird thing where her wrist just flared up ... she had some goals that she didn't reach, but all things considered, she had one of the best semesters."

Besides Armstrong, freshman Jordan Ferreira also contributed a strong effort, finishing 32nd. Improving each day of the tournament, Ferreira finished the weekend with a 229 and had a one-over-par 73 in the final round, which was the 14th best score of the day in the 95-player field. The strong showing was the culmination of a promising debut season for the freshman, Holt said.

"I think [Ferreira] had a pretty good semester," Holt said. "[This past weekend], she was the only player to consistently improve with each round. She's smart like that, and I think that'll continue to be the case in the spring."

Senior Kristina Nhim, junior Kelli Oride and sophomore Talia Campbell rounded out the competitors for the Irish with a 236 and a pair of 238s, respectively. Campbell and Oride matched each other throughout the weekend with scores of 81, 79, and 78, respectively.

With the fall season now over, the Irish will now take the offseason to improve and prepare for conference competition in the spring.

"Overall, I think the fall was a little disappointing," Holt said. "We certainly set some attainable goals as a team and just fell short. I try to put our kids against the top competition in the country, and hopefully in the spring we'll be able to play more consistently against them. We do have the talent; we just need to put it all together."

The Irish will not play again until Feb. 14, when they will compete at the Florida State Match-Up at the SouthWood Golf Course in Tallahassee, Fla.

Contact Cole Schietinger at cschieti@nd.edu