SMC Golf: Belles fire a season-low score, finish second

Saint Mary's closed out the last of its four MIAA one-day jamborees with a second-place finish Saturday at Zollner Golf Course in Angola, Ind.
The Belles shot a season-low 329 for the round to finish close behind Olivet's 320. The Tigers and the Belles took first and second place respectively in all four fall jamborees.
Saint Mary's coach Kim Moore said her team was happy to finish out the jamboree schedule but will hold off on any celebration until after the season is over.
"It feels pretty good," Moore said. "We have two more [conference rounds] coming up, the last of the fall season, so I'm looking forward to those last two events. Hopefully we can keep the momentum of how we did [Saturday] going for this coming weekend."
Freshman Ali Mahoney led the way for Saint Mary's with a 76, her tournament-low score as a Belle, and took third place individually. Senior captain Paige Pollak shot a 77 to finish fourth.
Moore said her two leading scorers impressed her with their play Saturday.
"I think we played pretty good," she said. "I was pretty impressed with the two scores in the 70s, so that always helps."
Mahoney tied the tournament lead with three birdies, including one on a par three, to lower her score. Pollak also had a birdie and tied three other golfers in par-four scoring.
"Ali made a lot of one-putts and had her best putting performance of the year so far," Moore said. "Paige was hitting the ball pretty decent [Saturday]. It seems to be clicking a little bit better so hopefully that momentum will continue this next week in practice and into next weekend."
Sophomore Sammie Averill shot an 86 for Saint Mary's to take 18th place. Senior captain Alexi Bown rounded out the Belles' team score with a 90 for 21st place, and junior Janice Heffernan turned in a 92 for 26th place individually.
Moore said the team took Sunday as a day of rest after a long two weeks of conference action, but the Belles will hit the links again Monday to prepare for the two-day End of Season Weekend Jamboree.
"[Sunday] was a day off, so hopefully they utilized it to kind of rest up and get caught up on some studies," she said. "But next week, we'll continue practice just like we used to and get that same routine going."
The Belles have one last week of practice before they tee off in their final tournament of the fall season Saturday at the End of Season Weekend Jamboree at Bedford Valley Golf Course in Augusta, Mich.
Contact Mary Green at mgreen8@nd.edu