SMC Soccer: Belles fall 1-0 to Alma

In their second meeting with Alma, the Belles lost their four-game-winning streak with a 1-0 defeat.

Last time the Belles (6-5-3, 4-3-3 MIAA) met Alma (9-5, 9-2 MIAA) they lost 4-0. After Wednesday's game, Alma catapults into first place, while the Belles remain in fifth. 

The Belles started off strong with a shot from sophomore midfielder Maggie McLaughlin in the first five minutes, saved by goalie Julie Debus. Minutes later freshman forward Rosie Biehl forced a turnover from an Alma defender and with only one defender standing between her and the goal, shot a ball just wide of the post.

In the second half, a free kick from Alma's Autumn Root created a perfect ball for Agatha Weddle to head in the back of the net to score the only goal of the game. 

The Belles came back into the second quarter strong with senior Jordan Diffenderfer notching three shots on goal. Yet it was not enough to come back from the 1-0 lead Alma gained in the first half. 

The Belles fought until the end, getting off two shots from junior midfielder Erin Mishu and sophomore defender Lindsay Rzpecki in the last two minutes - both saved by Debus

The Belles look to turn their luck around against Calvin at 12 p.m. on Saturday at Calvin.