SMC Soccer: Belles look for a win against conference opponent

By Meredith Kelly | Wednesday, October 2, 2013

After breaking their streak of ties with a win, the Belles head into their next conference game against Adrian today with hopes of building a winning streak. 

Belles head coach Michael Joyce said the biggest difference between their last game against Olivet and previous games that ended in ties was putting shots on goal and, ultimately, in the back of the net. 

“We haven’t been great this year at converting our chances or getting a good shot on goal at the end of our attack,” Joyce said. 

Joyce said the Belles (3-4-3, 1-2-3 MIAA) have to continue putting shots on goal against No. 2-ranked in MIAA Adrian (7-3, 5-2) in order to come out on top. He said the Belles are already starting to find the finishing mentality that is crucial to scoring goals. 

Although the game against Olivet was a great starting place for the Belles to build upon, Adrian is very different from Olivet, Joyce said. 

“They have some very talented forwards we’ll have to contend with, and we’ll probably see a lot more pressure in the back,” he said. “They have the last two conference players of the year on the attack, but we handled it fairly well last year and think we can again.”  

Defenders junior Kerry Green, sophomore Lindsay Rzpecki, junior captain Mary Kate Hussey and freshman Emily Rompola must play tough in order to stop the Adrian attack team. 

Adrian also has sophomore goalkeeper Lexi Lewandowski, who was named the MIAA Defensive Player of the Week. She is ranked second in the MIAA in save percentage (.833) and fourth in goals-against average (1.2). 

The Belles will rely on their goalkeeper as well, junior Chanler Rosenbaum, who was named MIAA Defensive Player of the week last week. Rosenbaum allowed just one goal in 220 minutes of play and made a career high of 13 saves against defending conference champion Calvin on Sept. 18. 

“As long as we have the intensity and the right mindset, we’ll be all right,” Joyce said. “We’re undefeated at home this year as well, so we’re planning on keeping that rolling through the year.”

The Belles will face Adrian at home today at 4 p.m.

Contact Meredith Kelly at mkelly29@nd.edu