Women's Interhall: Lewis blanks Farley for first win of the year

Lewis 6, Farley 0

In a game of tough, stifling defenses, Lewis shut out Farley's offense to win by a score of 6-0.

The Chicks (1-3) wasted no time showing off their defensive abilities, intercepting a pass on Farley's (1-3) first drive of the game. However, the Finest defense was able to hold up against Lewis's offense, forcing a turnover on downs at the goal line through strong pass defense led by senior cornerback KelsieCorriston.

In the second half, Lewis put in freshman dual-threat quarterback Elaine Schmidt, and it proved to be a critical move as she eventually threw the game's deciding touchdown.

Junior quarterback Caitlan Smith drove the ball down the field twice for Farley, and Smith almost threw a score on a fourth-and-goal play, but Lewis's lockdown defensive backs deflected it.

Senior captain and receiver Colleen Haller said she was proud of the Chicks' defensive prowess.

"Our defense stepped up today, and they put a lot of pressure on [Farley's] good receivers in not allowing many catches," Haller said. "I was very impressed by how they were able to hold their offense on close fourth downs."

Farley senior receiver Lauren Ladowski said she hopes the Finest offense lives up to the play of their defense next game.

"Our defense played really well, but our offense really wasn't on today," Ladowski said. "[Lewis] threw a few passes that we should have picked, but overall it was our offense that needed to step up.""

The Chicks look to get another win against Badin Sunday at Labar at 6 p.m., while the Finest hope to recover against Lyons at the same place and time.

Contact Manny De Jesus at mdejesus@nd.edu

McGlinn 13, Breen-Phillips 6

A late interception by freshman defensive back Emily Shira followed by a 35-yard rushing touchdown from senior captain Tara Crown sealed a second straight victory for McGlinn as they defeated Breen-Phillips 13-6 Monday night.

After trading punts to start the game, both teams were able to get on the board right before halftime. The Shamrocks (2-2) capped off a 30-yard drive when sophomore quarterback Katherine Petrovich scampered in from less a yard out to put McGlinn in the lead, 7-0. Freshman quarterback Emily Affinito answered for Breen Phillips (0-4), breaking free for a 62-yard touchdown rush to bring the Babes within a point at 7-6.

The defenses reigned supreme in the second half, with neither team running a play in the red zone. Crown said she was proud of McGlinn's defensive play.

"Our defense had more intensity than in the first couple of games," Crown said.

Crown then capped off the victory in the dying seconds with her 30-yard touchdown run.

Despite the loss, Breen-Phillips senior captain and linebacker Monica McNerney saw positives from the game.

"This was our best game of the season," McNerney said. "We put in some new plays on offense and [freshman receiver] KahekeMartinson had a big game for us."

On the other side of the field, Crown said she was pleased following their second win.

"We finally got chemistry between the receivers and quarterback and we're back where we were last year," Crown said.

McGlinn takes on Howard on Sunday at 4:00 p.m. while Breen-Phillips will battle Welsh Family at 5:00 p.m. with both games at the LaBbar Fields.

Contact Alex Carson at acarson@nd.edu

Pasquerilla East 32, Lyons 0

In a game that featured two teams with strong defenses, it was Pasquerilla East's offense that stole the show against Lyons in a 32-0 victory.

Right from the get-go, Pasquerilla East's offense dictated the momentum of the game as they scored on a long pass play on the third play of the game. By halftime, the Pyros had a 19-0 lead and did not allow the Lions to come back. Senior defensive line and captain Caroline Kuse said she was impressed with her team's defensive performance, but was quick to point out the great offensive improvements they have made.

"We have made huge strides offensively," Kuse said. "Our running game definitely improved as well as our passing game; it was a complete performance offensively." Pyro' junior quarterback

Macy Mulhall accounted for four passing touchdowns, a 20-yard punt return and a 25-yard reception in the fourth quarter. Mulhall said she couldn't have accumulated such numbers without her teammates.

"As a quarterback you don't have to worry when you have such a great group of receivers making plays," Mulhall said.  "Without a doubt our best offensive performance of the season."

A shorthanded Lyons team struggled to move the ball against the Pyros' stingy defense that totaled two interceptions, including a pick-six.  Senior captain and receiver Christina Bramanti applauded her team's effort, but said she recognized that there are some areas that need work.

"Defensively we are where we need to be," Bramanti said. "We just need to work on finishing plays whenever we can."

Both these teams will play Sunday at LaBar fields, as Pasquerilla East will face Cavanaugh and Lyons will face off against Farley.

Contact Jose Fernandez at jfernan9@nd.edu    

Ryan 31, Howard 6

Ryan defeated Howard 31-6 in a Monday night battle under the lights.

Howard (3-2) was the first team to score on the Wildcats this season. Senior captain and quarterback Clare Robinson ran the ball into the end zone in the third quarter to end Ryan's (4-0) shutout streak.

Senior receiver Maddie Swan scored three of Ryan's five touchdowns. All three receptions came in the red zone from freshman quarterback Kathleen Conaty. Senior captain and offensive lineman Andrea Carlson said she believes her team's offense still has room for improvement.

"We need to work on converting extra points, definitely," Carlson said. "We only got one extra point and that's going to be really important if a game comes down to the line."

Despite Howard's defeat, Robinson said the game revealed the strength of the Ducks' defense.

"We definitely didn't play to our potential but I think we showed that we can adjust well to the strengths of the other team's offense," said Robinson. "[Junior defensive back] Claire Kozlowski had a key interception for us."

Ryan looks to continue its winning streak through the regular season and into the playoffs, Carlson said.

"Two years ago we were undefeated in the regular season and lost in the first game of playoffs," Carlson said. "We're hoping to stay undefeated in the season and actually win in the playoffs this year."

Both teams face their next opponents at 4 p.m. Sunday, when the Wildcats take on Pangborn and the Ducks match up against McGlinn.

Contact Christina Kochanski at ckochans@nd.edu