Women's Interhall: Weasels seek to stay undefeated

By RENEE GRIFFIN

Sports Writer

Pasquerilla West hopes to keep its undefeated record Sunday against Farley, who will be looking to build off a positive performance last week with another win.

The Purple Weasels (4-0-0) have dominated their first four contests, outscoring their opponents by a combined score of 96-7.

Senior linebacker and captain BreeziToole said she attributes the success to hard work and cooperation.

"I think we've been working really hard and it's paid off in the games," Toole said. "We still have a long way to go before we get to where we want to be. I think we've been operating well as a team, and we've been working on and off the field to build camaraderie."

However, Pasquerilla West may be challenged more this week, as senior starting quarterback Rachel Rogers is injured and may not be able to take the field Sunday. Senior backup quarterback MaddieSchneeman will have to step in, with junior Colleen Doyle possibly getting some reps, as well.

Farley (1-1-0) bounced back from a Week One loss to Pasquerilla East by defeating Badin on Sunday. The Finest will be motivated against Pasquerilla West, senior captain and receiver Lauren Ladowski said.

"I'm expecting our team to come out with a lot of energy," Ladowski said. "We actually scrimmaged them before the season started, and we lost, so we're looking for some vengeance there."

In addition to Ladowski, junior quarterback Caitlin Smith and senior running back Giselle Sabal will lead the Farley offense against the formidable Purple Weasel defense. Pasquerilla West's new quarterbacks, meanwhile, will face senior linebacker Emily Shepherd and the Finest defense.

The Finest and Purple Weasels will kick off at 6 p.m. at LaBar Fields on Sunday.

Contact Renee Griffin at rgriffi6@nd.edu

Lewis  vs. Pasquerilla East

By MEGAN WINKEL

Sports Writer

With two games in the book for each squad, Pasquerilla East and Lewis face off Sunday.

After Lewis (0-2-0) started the season with two losses, senior captain Colleen Haller said she hopes that by pulling more complex plays out of their playbook, the Chicks will be able to add a win.

"Originally, for offense, we were just working on the basics," Haller said. "But now we can put in different options of what we can do when facing different types of defense."

Pasquerilla East (1-1-0) is also coming into this game off a recent loss. After defeating Farley in the first week, the Pyros lost a 27-7 battle with Pasquerilla West in Game Two. Senior captain Caroline Kuse said the Pyros' defense needs to improve against the run this week.

"Defense was definitely the defining factor of our loss," Kuse said. "[Pasquerilla West] was faster than we expected, and they beat us on running plays. Our defense is good with pass plays, but we need to work on running defense for the upcoming game."

Kuse said she believes that loss was just a bump in the road and, like Haller, looks to go beyond the fundamentals to ensure a win.

"We were doing basics before, but now we're trying to work some more variety into our game plan."Kuse said. "I think if we stick to what we've been doing at practice, we will see success."

The Pyros and the Chicks will face off Sunday at 6 p.m. at LaBar fields.

Contact Megan Winkel at mwinkel@nd.edu

McGlinn  vs. Walsh

By REBECCA ROGALSKI

Sports Writer

McGlinn and Walsh hope to start off October on the right foot by securing a victory in their upcoming battle Sunday.

The Shamrocks (0-2-0) look to claim their first win of the season after suffering a 7-6 loss against Welsh Family on Sunday. Senior captain and receiver Tara Crown said they made fundamental mistakes in their loss to the Whirlwinds.

"We suffered from a variety of issues on both offense and defense in that game," Crown said. "Though some problems with the defense were fixed, we still need to work on our offense, especially the connection between the quarterback and the receivers."

The Wild Women (1-3) achieved their first victory against Welsh Family on Monday, which junior captain and receiver Maggie Fisher said gave Walsh a confidence boost going into this week's practice.

"Our offense is finally starting to get it together," Fisher said. "If our offensive players keep improving and get their routes down, I have no doubt that we'll play well."

McGlinn also plans on going into the game against Walsh with a positive and strong attitude, Crown said.

"The team needs to stay focused and play with absolute intensity," Crown said. "When we play well, we are a very good team, so I believe that we just need to play to our potential."

The matchup between McGlinn and Walsh means a lot to the Wild Women, according to Fisher.

"McGlinn actually beat Walsh in the women's interhall championship game last year, so hopefully we can get a little revenge this weekend by capturing the win," Fisher said.

The Shamrocks and Wild Women will meet face-to-face Sunday at 5 p.m. at LaBar Fields.

Contact Rebecca Rogalski at rrogalsk@nd.edu

Cavanaugh vs. Lyons

By JOSH DULANY

Sports Writer

Lyons and Cavanaugh play this weekend in a mid-season matchup between two squads that have impressed thus far.

After a close opening loss, Cavanaugh (2-1-0) has won its last two games by a combined score of 58-7. Junior running back and receiver Olivia Dietzel has been a focal point for the Chaos' high-flying offense.

Senior captain and middle linebacker Meaghan Ayers said she expects Cavanaugh's recent dominance to continue.

"Our offense has been doing really well, putting up lots of points and we'll be relying on our defense to keep [Lyons] at zero," Ayers said. "Our confidence from other games is really going to help us  ...  and be an asset going forward."

An offense led by freshman quarterback Kristen Lombardo has led the Lions (2-1-0) to their strong start.

Senior captain and receiver Christina Bramanti said she is impressed with the effort of her team, especially the quarterback.

"Everyone plays the entire game and really steps up," Bramanti said. "We have a lot of new plays. ... We just need to focus on properly executing. Kristen [Lombardo] has done a great job of seeing the whole field."

Lyons will also look to build on its defensive success by mixing up its coverage, according to Bramanti, who also plays safety.

"We will switch from man to zone. ... We like having that as a weapon."Bramanti said.

The Chaos and Lions battle at 5 p.m. Sunday at LaBar Fields.

Contact Josh Dulany at jdulany@nd.edu

Pangborn vs. Howard

By EVAN ANDERSON

Sports Writer

Pangborn and Howard meet Sunday with two undefeated records, an upper hand in the standings and plenty of bragging rights on the line.

The Phoxes (3-0-0) have been particularly dominant this season. Behind a strong defense, Pangborn recorded consecutive shutout victories over Walsh, Welsh Family and Breen-Phillips, each by at least three touchdowns.

Senior offensive lineman and captain Mary Kate Veselik said she was confident her team's winning ways would continue.

"We just have to stay the course and keep doing what we're doing," Veselik said. "We've been dominant defensively. ... If they can't score, then they can't beat us."

But the Phoxes will take on another unbeaten team in Howard (3-0-0). 

The Ducks defeated the same three opponents as the Phoxes, albeit with a little less flash, behind a balanced offense and a stout defense. Most recently, they defeated Breen-Phillips in comeback fashion after a few key defensive adjustments in the second half.

Howard senior coach Byron Henry said he was proud of his team's play this season.

"This team is dedicated [and] hard-working and has such will to win," Henry said. "Their willingness to listen and their ability to adapt have been so impressive."

Henry also said he had plenty of confidence in his team's ability to win Sunday.

"Our defense is going to be the key to victory," he said. "I think we'll step it up."

The Phoxes and Ducks will battle Sunday at 4 p.m. at LaBar Fields.

Contact Evan Anderson at eander11@nd.edu

Ryan vs. Breen-Phillips

By BRIAN PLAMONDON

Sports Writer

Ryan and Breen-Phillips find themselves with opposite records as they prepare to clash this Sunday.

The Wildcats (2-0-0) will look to continue their hot start, one that has seen them put up 63 points and give up none, against the struggling Babes (0-2-0).

Ryan senior captain and offensive lineman Andrea Carlson said she attributed her team's early success to both sides of the ball playing off one another.

"Our defense is always there with a big stop if our offense can't score," Carlson said. "This motivates us on offense to keep moving the ball downfield."

Carlson said she was also pleased with the way the team's freshmen have played. She emphasized the strong play of freshman defensive lineman Shawn Hall, who already has multiple interceptions, and freshman quarterback Kathleen Conaty.

"Kathleen has been huge for us," Carlson said. "She has been very confident with the ball. She's not afraid to tell the offense what to do."

Breen-Phillips lost to Howard on Monday but did manage to score the first two touchdowns of its season after suffering a shutout in its season opener.

Senior captain and linebacker Monica McNerney said a young team made up generally of freshmen explains the Babes' early struggles. Despite this, McNerney said she was pleased with how quickly many of them have taken control of the offense.

"Freshman running back Emily Affinito has really impressed," McNerney said. "She is incredibly fast and should be making some big plays this weekend."

The Wildcats and Babes will meet Sunday at 6 p.m. at LaBar Fields.

Contact Brian Plamondon at bplamond@nd.edu