Holy Cross Harvest collects donations for food bank

Samantha Castaneda | Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Saint Mary’s Office for Social and Civic Engagement (OSCE) has joined with Holy Cross College and Notre Dame to host the Holy Cross Harvest this week.
This is the third year the institutions have hosted the festival, Jessica Bulosan, assistant director of OSCE, said.

The festival aims to help people in the South Bend Community who lack basic resources, Bulosan said. OSCE will host discussions, place food barrels around the College and encourage students to donate a meal swipe in solidarity with the hungry.

“The food drive is the main event in the Holy Cross Harvest,” Bulosan said. “We at Saint Mary’s are donating all of the food and monetary donations we get to the Food Bank [of] Northern Indiana.”

Throughout the week, OSCE will sell T-shirts in exchange for food donations. Bulosan said she hopes Harvest will increase awareness of homelessness in the South Bend area.

On Friday, students can “donate a meal” to the Holy Cross Harvest. The same day, Milt Lee, executive director of the Food Bank of Northern Indiana, will present in the Student Center about hunger in Michiana.

“We often think of hunger as a problem elsewhere in the world,” Bulosan said. “There’s so much in our own community that we can help with, and it’s really concrete, really immediate.”

Bulosan said donations given at the Faculty Thanksgiving Potluck will also support the Holy Cross Harvest.

“We can do something today to help kids who are hungry have food, to help families who are hungry have food,” she said. “That’s something that we want to kind of open students’ eyes to. There’s so much hunger right here that we can help with.”

The College’s mission statement declares the institution helps students promote a life of social responsibility, Bulosan said.

“The Holy Cross Harvest allows Saint Mary’s women to … start making a difference in the world right now,” she said.

The Holy Cross Harvest promotes the vision of the Holy Cross community, Bulosan said.

“The Holy Cross brothers and sisters founded our schools with the same vision: to provide eccellent educations so students can make a positive difference in the world,” she said. “The Holy Cross Harvest allows students to reach across school lines to work together for something positive.”

Contact Samatha Castaneda at scasta01@saintmarys.edu