Men's Interhall Football: Keenan remains undefeated

Keenan 13, Dillon 6
By CHRISTINA KOCHANSKI
Sports Writer

No. 1 Keenan will advance to the semifinals in search of repeat titles after defeating No. 8 Dillon 13-6 in Sunday's quarterfinals.
The Knights (5-0-0) scored the first points of the game at the end of the first quarter when sophomore quarterback Patrick Corry rushed for a touchdown. The Knights did not convert on the extra point.
With less than a minute before halftime, Keenan increased its lead when senior receiver John Garry took a pass from Corry all the way to the endzone. The Knights' field goal was good despite being tipped by a Dillon defender.
"The first half was definitely in our favor," Keenan senior captain and receiver Jeremy Riche said. "Then [the Big Red] came out and punched us pretty quick in the second half with a score and an interception."
Dillon's touchdown was scored on a 65-yard double reverse pass play. The Big Red (2-3-0) did not convert on the extra point, ending the game's scoring.
"We worked on the trick play in practice and it paid off," Dillon senior captain and lineman Nate Steele said.
Despite the loss, Steele said he is not disappointed with his team's performance.
"Keenan is a really good team and I'm glad we went out with a good game," Steele said. "I think if you take into account the size of our roster - we had four substitutes and most everybody played the whole game - I couldn't be happier."
Keenan advances to the semifinals against No.4Keough, while Dillon looks to make another playoff run next season.
Contact Christina Kochanski at ckochans@nd.edu

Keough 20, Siegfried 0
By BRIAN PLAMONDON
Sports Writer

No.4Keough handed No.5Siegfried a 20-0 loss on Sunday to set up a semifinal date with Keenan.
The Kangaroos (4-1) were paced on offense by senior captain and quarterback Seamus Donegan, who threw for 72 yards and three touchdowns on 5-for-5 passing. Donegan got Keough on the board in the second quarter when he found sophomore receiver Mitch Patin on a one-yard out route. Keough's subsequent two-point conversion was successful as Donegan hit senior receiver Kyle Gurrola.
Keough got back on the board in the third quarter when Donegan aired a pass to Patin, this one for 32 yards. This time Keough's conversion failed. The touchdown was set up by a Siegfried fumble that was recovered by Keough senior cornerback Sammy Bungum. Bungum, like the much of the Kangaroo defense, made plays all over the field, adding two sacks to his fumble recovery.
"Our defense got pressure on the ball when [Siegfried] was passing, which was huge," Bungum said. "Everyone doing their job and keeping their gaps also helped."
Keough would complete the scoring on their first drive of the fourth quarter when Donegan threw a 16-yard touchdown to Gurrola. Another failed two-point conversation failed to hurt the Kangaroos, as Siegfried (3-2) was never able to move the ball into the red zone. Despite the win, Donegan said Keough will still need to focus this week in practice.
"We're going to get back to basics this week at practice, just executing, and we'll be prepared come Sunday," Donegan said.
Siegfried was plagued by lapses at key moments, with two sacks allowed and two turnovers. Despite only being outgained 120 to 106, the Ramblers could not find the consistency moving the ball on offense that Keough did.
Junior quarterback Nate Burggraf led the way for the Ramblers, completing 7-of -12 passes for 84 yards and an interception.
Siegfried's season is now over, while Keough will take on No.1 Keenan this Sunday.
Contact Brian Plamondon at bplamond@nd.edu

Alumni 20, Knott 7
By RENEE GRIFFIN
Sports Writer

No. 2 Alumni remained undefeated after their playoff win against No. 7 Knott on Sunday showcased the Dawgs' defensive strength.
Alumni senior captain and receiver Jeff Kraemer led the dominant effort by the Dawgs (5-0). He scored the first touchdown of the game as a receiver and made four interceptions from the safety position, one of which he returned for a touchdown.Kraemer's two scores put the Dawgs ahead 14-0 before Knott (2-3) scored on a touchdown pass to sophomore receiver Jack Taiclet.
However, Knott's subsequent attempts at a comeback failed due to an interception by Alumni sophomore cornerback Nate Stone, plus the picks by Kraemer. A fourth quarter touchdown by Dawgs freshman running back Alex Alcantara put the game out of reach.
Kraemer said he was very pleased with his team's performance, and he hopes to continue this level of play in the semifinals.
"After one of their early drives, we pretty much had our way the rest of the game," Kraemer said. "Next week we'll try to just do more of the same. It's worked so far."
Knott senior captain and defensive end James Hodgens said though he was disappointed in the loss, the experience this season was positive for Knott.
"Things didn't work out today but I'm overall pretty happy with how it went," Hodgens said. "Next year we'll be one of the teams to beat for sure."
Alumni will play No. 3 Carroll on Sunday, while the loss ended Knott's season.

Carroll 14, Fisher 0
By MATT GARCIA
Sports Writer

Despite missing two field goals, senior quarterback and kicker Bobby Dorman lifted No. 3 Carroll to two second-half touchdowns and a quarterfinals victory over No. 6 Fisher.
Dorman completed seven of his 15 pass attempts for 82 yards, adding 87 yards on 11 rushing attempts for the Vermin (4-0-1). On defense, he added a 25-yard interception return, setting up the first touchdown of the game, a quarterback draw by Dorman for 14 yards.
Freshman running back Zach Dodd chipped in with a two-yard touchdown run in the final seconds that sealed the game at 14-0. Dodd collected 26 yards on nine carries, adding 30 yards on three receptions. Senior captain and defensive lineman Mike Russell said he is looking forward to what lies ahead.
"Our goal was the stadium at the beginning of the season so we took the next step, and we are ready to see what comes next," Russell said.
The Green Wave (2-1-2) could not get anything going on offense, relying heavily on senior running back Ricky Neville. Neville had 10 touches for just 22 yards, while three team penalties, including two false starts in the same drive, brought down Fisher. A late hook-and-ladder play to senior wide receiver Chris Cali for 20 yards could not salvage the two-possession game. Senior captain and linebacker Matthew Nagy said he was disappointed with the loss based on how the team had fared against Carroll in its previous matchup.
"We played them a lot closer in the regular season," Nagy said. "The fact that our offense was not able to get going meant our defense was on the field so much in the second half."
Carroll will take on the No. 2 Alumni in the semifinals, while Fisher heads into the offseason.
Contact Matt Garcia at mgarci15@nd.edu