Men's Interhall: Knights win rivalry matchup

By JOSH DULANY

Sports Writer

Defending champion Keenan capped off its undefeated regular season and will roll into the playoffs after dominating Stanford on Sunday, 28-0.

Keenan (4-0) controlled the game on both sides of the ball, forcing three turnovers and finding the end zone four times. 

Sophomore quarterback Pat Corry led the Knights with three touchdown passes and another one on the ground. Senior receiver and linebacker John Garry turned in a stellar effort as well, with two touchdown receptions and an interception.

Keenan senior captain and receiver Jeremy Riche said he thought the Knights' effort was solid throughout the game.

"Our guys started off hot ... and played consistent throughout," Riche said. "We came up big when we really needed it, especially the defense with the turnovers, and it was overall a great team win. The offense started to click and the defense has been solid all year ... so heading into the playoffs, after this game, I feel really good."

The Griffins (0-4) saw their season come to a close, but strong performances from junior tight end and linebacker Kevin Connor and sophomore running back and safety Michael Grasso were bright spots. 

Senior captain and lineman Ruben Carrion said he was proud of his team's performance.

"It was a hard-fought game," Carrion said. "The score doesn't really show the heart my team had. ... We experienced success, and just little mistakes slowed us down. This is the last game [in which] I'll ever wear pads, and I could not be more proud."

The Griffins will look toward next year while Keenan will gear up to defend its title against Dillon on Sunday. 

Contact Josh Dulany at jdulany@nd.edu

Keough 7, O'Neill 0

By CORNELIUS McGRATH

Sports Writer

In what was nothing short of a battle that could have gone either way, it was Keough that eventually came out on top, narrowly defeating O'Neill 7-0, Sunday.

Neither team reached the end zone on offense, as both struggled to get momentum going.

The Kangaroos' defense has been the strongest asset all season for Keough (3-1), and once again it proved its worth in the final regular-season game. Sophomore defensive end William Fields capitalized on a fumbled ball and ran it to the end zone from the five-yard line with just two minutes left in the fourth quarter for the contest's only score.

Keough senior captain and quarterback Seamus Donegan said he was delighted with the late victory. 

"It's difficult to put into words what that win meant for us," Donegan said. "O'Neill played an awesome game and made our lives very difficult, but I am over the moon that we managed to pull through."

The Angry Mob (1-3) fought throughout the game and had numerous opportunities, especially on defense, to make a breakthrough.

O'Neill junior captain and running back Donghoon Lee said he liked how the team went about competing. 

"It was a tough loss, but I am incredibly proud of the guys," Lee said. "They have come out, worked incredibly hard this year and made us the best we have been in a while. I simply couldn't have asked for anything more." 

With the win, Keough is now into the playoffs and will face Siegfried on Sunday, while O'Neill looks towards next season for another shot at victory.

Contact Cornelius McGrath at cmcgrat2@nd.edu

Carroll 29, Zahm 7

By ANDREW ROBINSON

Sports Writer

In the regular-season finale Sunday, early scoring and pivotal turnovers helped Carroll secure a 29-7 victory over Zahm.

The Vermin (3-0-1) marched down the field in their first possession and finished with a 16-yard touchdown pass across the middle to freshman receiver Anthony Valera

After a successful two-point conversion and a Zahm punt, Carroll again made its way down the field and finished with a four-yard touchdown run by freshman running back Zach Dodd.

"We scored on every offensive possession except at the very end," senior captain Mike Russell said. "We looked good there today."

On the next play, Zahm sophomore quarterback Tim Coen connected on a long pass down the sideline to sophomore receiver Travis Allen for a 65-yard touchdown reception to cut the lead to 15-7 heading into halftime.

"That was a big touchdown to have before half," senior captain Joseph Rice said.

Zahm (0-4) again moved into Vermin territory, but Valera came up big for the Vermin on the defensive end, caught a deflected pass and returned it for a 70-yard touchdown.

"They got behind us and scored ... so we needed to come back, and we did," Valera said about the crucial interception.

The next Zahmbie pass was also intercepted and returned by senior safety Tommy Spoonmore, making the score 29-7, and a lost fumble on the next possession sealed Zahm's fate. 

"We didn't put up any wins, but we had fun," Rice said about the Zahmbies' season. "That's all we were here to do."

Zahm's season is over, but Carroll plays Sunday in the first round of the playoffs against Fisher.

Contact Andrew Robinson at arobins6@nd.edu

Knott 7, Morrissey 0

By EVAN ANDERSON

Sports Writer

The Knott defense forced its second consecutive shutout in a 7-0 win over Morrissey and punched its playoff ticket Sunday.

Juggerknotts junior quarterback David Taiclet threw for 164 yards and the game's only touchdown, and sophomore receiver Jack Taiclet caught five passes for 81 yards from his older brother. 

However, it was freshman Connor Fox who broke the scoreless tie in the second quarter with a 30-yard touchdown reception from Taiclet to give Knott (2-2) a 7-0 lead. 

The Juggerknott offense faltered in the second half gaining just 21 total yards, but the defense stiffened for the second week in a row.

Knott senior captain and defensive end James Hodgens said he was very pleased with the way his defense closed the year.

"Our entire [defensive] line was in there on every play," Hodgens said. "I think we looked like a playoff team today ... If we do get in, I really like our chances."

Morrissey (1-3) was not without its chances. Junior receiver Timothy Cole hauled in a 32-yard pass from junior Ryan Lindquist but couldn't quite keep his footing long enough to get into the end zone.  

The Manor squandered their only red-zone opportunity with a turnover-on-downs just four plays later. 

Nonetheless, senior captain and offensive lineman Patrick Valencia said he was generally pleased with his team's effort.

"The defense kept the team in the game," Valencia said. "We kept fighting, and we had a chance at the end. This team is already excited for next year."

Morrissey's season is over, while Knott matches up against Alumni on Sunday in the first round of the playoffs.

Contact Evan Anderson at eander11@nd.edu

St. Edward's 14, Sorin 13

By CHRISTINA KOCHANSKI

Sports Writer

St. Edward's defeated Sorin 14-13 on Sunday in a battle that came down to the last minute of play.

Senior quarterback Paul Rodriguez scored the first touchdown for the Gentlemen (2-2-0) in the first half. The Otters (1-2-1) responded when junior quarterback Patrick Power threw to sophomore receiver Jake Yurek for a touchdown. 

Rodriguez scored another touchdown to retake the lead for St. Edward's before halftime. 

Yurek opened the second half with a touchdown on Sorin's first drive, but the Otters failed to convert on the two-point conversion.

Sorin sophomore captain and running back and defensive back John Pearl said he believed defense was critical for both sides.

"Defensively, our adjustment was really good," Pearl said. "Their defense, overall, was pretty impressive with three picks."

St. Edward's defense also featured a fourth quarter fumble recovery by senior Andrew Blonigan that stopped the Otters deep in St. Edward's territory.

The Otters missed an opportunity to take the lead when they attempted a field goal with less than a minute left in the game. The kick was short, finalizing the Gentlemen's 14-13 victory.

St. Edward's junior captain and running back and cornerback Ryan Majsak, said the Gentlemen played a tough, consistent game overall. 

"Our team's strength today was grittiness, and we put it all out there and came out with a victory," Majsak said. "If we had played like we did today all season, we would be 4-0 with the first-seed position in the playoffs."

Neither team advanced to the playoffs, so both look to make the postseason next year.

Contact Christina Kochanski at ckochans@nd.edu

Siegfried 25, Duncan 0

By MANNY DE JESUS

Sports Writer

Siegfried dominated Duncan on both sides the ball, as it won 25-0 in the season finale Sunday.

The running game for the Ramblers (3-1) trounced the Highlanders' defense as all four touchdowns came on the ground. Freshman running back Dan Verzuh led the rushing attack, gaining 127 yards along with three touchdowns. 

"This is probably the best season of football I have ever played in terms of how much I am contributing," Verzuh said. "Our running game is very good: We have a great fullback, great line and they are giving me huge holes to run through, so if we keep playing this way we'll be great [in the playoffs]." 

In addition to the Ramblers' offense, their defense was able to shut down the Highlanders on offense and force six turnovers. 

Siegfried senior lineman Jack Moore said he believed this game was important for his team in terms of finding some momentum after the long fall break. 

"We look to work on bringing the right mindset to the games in the playoffs," Moore said. "We can't [play unfocused] or else they will make us pay for it." 

Duncan junior captain and center Alan Keck said he was disappointed with the way the season ended but was content with the toughness the team displayed. Duncan (0-4) dressed only 11 players for the game. 

"We moved the ball pretty well, but too many penalties killed us," Keck said. "This year's juniors are going to meet up in the offseason to talk about the offense and defense for next season." 

The next time Siegfried takes the field, it will compete in the playoffs against Keough while Duncan's season is officially over. 

Contact Manny De Jesus at mdejesus@nd.edu