-

-

No greater recruiting honor

Letter to the Editor | Monday, November 4, 2013

Dear Mr. Mike Mayock,
During the Notre Dame-Navy game last Saturday, you began the game by commenting that, “every Navy kid has a chip on their shoulder that he wasn’t more highly recruited.”
I simply couldn’t disagree more. These fine young men have been recruited to much more than to simply show up for football on a Saturday. They have been recruited to fly over the skies of Afghanistan, spend months at a time patrolling the seas, to interpret critical pieces of intelligence and to parachute behind enemy lines in search of some of the most evil forces on earth. Naval academy graduates become U.S. Marines, Navy seals, doctors, lawyers, engineers and above all leaders for our nation.
Football may be a huge part of their lives, but just because they wear a football uniform on Saturdays doesn’t mean their navy uniforms are collecting dust in their closets the other six days of the week.
Mr. Mayock, the midshipmen who burst into Notre Dame stadium on Saturday are much more than ballplayers. They are future military officers who treasure your freedom so greatly that they are willing to sacrifice everything to protect it. Please honor and respect their dedication to you, their fellow American, by recognizing that there is no higher recruiting honor then being chosen to humbly serve, defend and potentially die for your country.

Katy Sidrow
Milwaukee, Wisc.
Class of 2008
Nov. 3