-

-

Sexual assault reported

Observer Staff Report | Monday, November 11, 2013

The St. Joseph County Special Victims Unit is investigating an alleged rape of a student in a Saint Mary’s residence hall late Saturday, Nov. 3 into early Sunday, Nov. 4, according to Gwen O’Brien, the College’s director of media relations.

“The College took immediate actions upon learning of the alleged incident and is cooperating with the investigation,” O’Brien said. “Saint Mary’s College has no comment at this time due to that ongoing police investigation.”

Vice President for Student Affairs Karen Johnson said the student body did not receive an email about the incident because she was confident the alleged assailant was no longer on campus and there was no danger to the campus community.

“That decision is made by me in consultation with our Director of Security and the Assistant Vice President for student Affairs,” Johnson said. “There are three levels of notification we use when an incident happens: immediate and ongoing threat to the campus community – in that case, we use our early alert system, ongoing but not immediate threat to the campus community – in that case, we send out a safety notice; and no immediate or ongoing threat to the campus community – in that case, we do a report on the safety website.”

Johnson said notifications to the student body are determined on a case-by case basis and are based on level of immediacy and level of threat.

“We want our students to have enough information to be safe,” Johnson said. “If we feel there is an ongoing concern or threat, we notify.”

-

-

Sexual assault reported

Observer Staff Report | Friday, November 8, 2013

Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) is investigating a report of sexual assault committed by an acquaintance in a South Quad men’s residence hall late last Friday, an email sent to students said.

The email stated the report was made to a University administrator and warned students of the risk of sexual assault.

“Anyone initiating any kind of sexual contact with another person must seek consent and not engage in sexual contact unless consent is given,” the email stated. “As the University’s sexual assault policy makes clear: ‘Sexual misconduct of any kind is inconsistent with the University’s values and incompatible with the safe, healthy environment that the Notre Dame community expects. … The perpetrator, not the survivor, is responsible for any instance of sexual assault.” Information about sexual assault prevention and resources for survivors of sexual assault is available online from both NDSP and the Committee for Sexual Assault Prevention.