SMC Soccer: Saint Mary’s finishes season with shutout

A.J. Godeaux | Monday, November 4, 2013

Behind an overpowering offensive attack and a stingy defense, Saint Mary’s capped off its season Monday with a 5-0 shutout win over Trine, ending the season on a four-game winning streak.
“We really played well as a team today, especially offensively,” Belles junior defender and co-captain Mary Kate Hussey said. “We were able attack aggressively and confidently, and really played as one unit.”
Senior midfielder and co-captain Mollie Valencia, playing in her last game in a Belles uniform, got Saint Mary’s (10-7-3, 8-5-3 MIAA) on the board early, when freshman forward Emily Rompola sent a pass from the right sideline to a sprinting Valencia at the top of the box. Valencia took a touch before sending the ball to the back of the net for her second goal of the year.
“That was great to see [Mollie] get a goal in her last game,” Joyce said.
Belles freshman forward Rosie Biehl took the reins from there. In the 35th minute, a Belles shot deflected off a Thunder defender right to an awaiting Biehl on the left side of the box, who sent a shot past senior Trine goalkeeper Jamie Schnarr into the far side of the net.
In the 47th minute, Biehl received a pass from junior forward Kelly Wilson on the left side of the box, sneaking a low shot between the left post and Schnarr to give the Belles a 3-0 lead and Biehl a team-leading eighth goal on the year.
“Rosie’s really hit her stride the past few games with four goals in three games,” Joyce said. “It’ll be exciting to see what she can do the next three years.”
Senior forward Jordan Diffenderfer added her second goal of the season in the 73rd minute off a scramble in the box, while sophomore Rachel Schulte added to the blowout with her first goal of the season four minutes later off an assist from senior forward Kaitlin Teichman, giving the Belles their fifth goal of the afternoon.
Junior goalkeepers Chanler Rosenbaum and Natalie Warner combined for the shutout. Warner saved the lone shot on goal from the Thunder (2-17, 1-15) as the Belles defensive unit held Trine to just three shots.
Already out of contention for the MIAA tournament, Hussey said the Belles were playing for pride Monday.
“There wasn’t any pressure to score or win this game for our record,” Hussey said. “We wanted to do it for ourselves and our seniors. … We wanted to send them off well.”
The Belles conclude the season in fifth place in the MIAA, three points behind fourth-place Adrian. The top four teams make the postseason conference tournament.
“We came up a win short, but this team plays some sublime soccer and had a good year,” Joyce said. “We’ll work hard for a shot at it next year.”
Contact A.J. Godeaux at agodeaux@nd.edu