SNL's Nasim Pedrad at Legends

On Friday, Nasim Pedrad from "Saturday Night Live" came to Legends, courtesy of the Student Union Board, to perform a standup comedy show. The set was definitely a far cry from Pedrad's usual SNL performances, as the small-crowd setting gave her a chance to focus on herself and her quirks, instead of the zany characters she typically portrays on NBC's long-running sketch comedy show. Pedrad quickly engaged the audience by opening the show with a series of jokes about Notre Dame, calling it the "whitest place she's ever been to" and worrying about how she still has not seen "Rudy." She swiftly changed the focus of the jokes from the school to herself and her upbringing by Iranian parents in Los Angeles. A number of the comments centered on her awkward personality and how this affected the way she grew up, including references to her taekwondo lessons and shaving her unibrow. Pedrad's awkwardness has definitely continued into the present day, however, and she was not afraid to make note of this fact during the show. Pedrad referenced her first encounter with Kim Karadashian after making fun of her on SNL and how unemotional Kardashian was. Pedrad finished the show with a quick Q&A session, and she surprised the crowd by advising them that they absolutely should not go into the entertainment industry unless absolutely nothing else makes them happy because it's such a brutal industry to be in.
Contact Jimmy Kemper at jkemper2@nd.edu