Theology professor dies at age 83

Former Notre Dame theology professor and Holy Cross priest Fr. John Scribner Dunne passed away Monday at age 83, according to an obituary from the Congregation of Holy Cross.

Dunne is renowned in Notre Dame's department of theology  for "having taught more students than anyone else in the University's history," the obituary stated.
University President Fr. John Jenkins said Dunne "will be missed by all" in a statement released by the University Monday.

"On behalf of the University, I extend my deepest condolences to the family and friends of Rev. John S. Dunne C.S.C., a beloved teacher, scholar, priest and friend," Jenkins said in the statement. "John brought humility, honesty and intellectual prowess to a quest of faith seeking understanding and, in sharing the journey, he made lasting contributions to the lives of countless students, colleagues, fellow religious and many readers of his books.

"Like many others, I benefited greatly from classes and conversations with John, and mourn his passing."

Dunne received the 2013 Presidential Award, the Sheedy Award and the Danforth Foundation Harbison Award from the University, the obituary stated. He published numerous books and in 1999 was named one of the "most influential spiritual writers of the 20th century," the release stated.

Before beginning his teaching career at Notre Dame in 1957, Dunne studied at the Holy Cross Minor Seminary at Notre Dame for his senior year of high school and studied philosophy at the University before his ordination in Rome on Dec. 18, 1954, the release stated.  

A visitation will be held Thursday from 3:30 to 7 p.m. at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart on campus. A funeral Mass will be Friday at 3:30 p.m. at the Basilica with a committal immediately following at the Holy Cross community cemetery on campus.

The obituary said memorial contributions can be submitted to support the mission and ministries of the Congregation of Holy Cross at donate.holycrossusa.org or United States Province of Priests and Brothers, Office of Development, P. O. Box 765, Notre Dame, IN 46556