Week encourages global diplomacy

Today marks the beginning of International Education Week, a nation-wide initiative established to promote international exchange of customs and cultures, McKenna Pencak, assistant director of communications and outreach for International Student Services and Activities (ISSA), said. Pencak said the week will be celebrated on campus through Nov. 17.

"International Education Week is a national event coordinated by the US Department of State and the US Department of Education to celebrate and promote international education and global exchange between the United States and other countries," Pencak said. 

She said ISSA sponsors International Education Week at Notre Dame every year.

"This year, there are thirty-five events going on over the course of the week," Pencak said. "There's a wide array of events ranging from theater performances and lectures to food tastings and book signings."

The week's signature event is the International Taste of South Bend, which will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 13 in the LaFortune Ballroom, Pencak said. Free and open to the Notre Dame community, she said the event includes a sampling of international cuisine from 12 local ethnic restaurants, Pencak said.

Pencak said this particular event has been successful in years past.

"Last year, we had about 400 people attend the event," Pencak said. "It's always a lot of fun and a great way to spread cultural awareness and learn about restaurant offerings in the community." 

Timothy Roemer, a former U.S. Congressman and Ambassador to India, will be among the variety of guest speakers who will take part in the week's events, Pencak said. Roemer will speak in the Mendoza College of Business Jordan Auditorium on Wednesday, Nov. 13 at 4 p.m.In addition to Roemer's lecture, Pencak said student government is joining forces with Fostering Internationalism at Notre Dame (FIND) to host a student discussion with faculty members focusing on how students can integrate their voice into the University's role as an international research institution. 

"This event, in particular, will be great for students to participate in," said Pencak. "FIND is a brand new organization on campus and the discussion will be a great way for students to get involved in the conversation about internationalism at Notre Dame."

The Brazilian Club, the Irish Club, the Muslim Students Association, the Asian American Association and the Indian Association of Notre Dame are among the student groups that will be hosting events on campus in celebration of international education week, said Pencak.

"There's a variety of events for a variety of different people. That's the great part about the schedule this year," Pencak said. International Education week is a wonderful celebration of different countries and cultures and a great way to learn about Notre Dame's initiatives and programs throughout the world."

For a complete listing of the events, visit issa.nd.edu

Contact Cristina Sanchez at csanche7@nd.edu